Early screenshots of my first person shooter

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
s32_weaselType

Early screenshots of my first person shooter

Post by s32_weaselType »

I'm currently working on a first person shooter, I've been working on it for only 2 days, so it is in very early stages. I dont know the name of it yet, but I'm thinking it will be set about 10 years from now in Iraq.

The MP5 PDW model is by me, I'm suppised it turned out that well, I am very bad at skinning.

Current Features:
* Dynamic lighting on the viewmodel weapon according to where the lights are placed in GTK-Radiant
* modified irrlicht fps camera and collision

Upcoming features:
* Physics with Newton (Possibly Vehicles)
* Dynamic muzzle-flash
* Simple AI (possibly scripted AI too)
* and a bunch of other stuff thts probably imposible

Known Bugs:
Lightmaps look crappy (even in 32bit) in DX9, you can probably tell in the shots.

Screenshots
Image[/img]
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Nice!
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Lightmaps look crappy (even in 32bit) in DX9, you can probably tell in the shots.
And also the skybox. Change the TextureCreationFlag to be optimized for quality, so you get 32-bit textures instead of the ugly 16bit ones.
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

I don't like the jpeglib library. Niko, can't you write your own, better version?
Visit my website @ www.venex.be
Plethora project will be added to the site
AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB DDR, Radeon M10 (mobile 9600) PRO 64MB, WinXP
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

Thanks for the info Jedive, with one line of code, the textures are 32 bit, thanks a lot!

I'm updating the screens with 32 bit ones now
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Much better now. IrrLicht rendering quality is improved at least 200% with 32-bit textures :)
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

No kidding!

Updates:
* Reload and shooting animations in the works, and looking great!
* Rewrote the player class to work better with the world, and added more weapons code.

I'm thinking about posting a demo just for fun... but theres not really too much goin on yet... but soon.
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

Couple more screenshots:

New:
* Cleaner code (practicly rewritten)
* Newton Physics with currently 3 different rigid body types
* Reload and shooting animations implemented and reloading sound is now dead-on!

Soon:
* Shooting effects (muzleflash, sparks, dust)
* More rigid body types
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

Almost forgot!

Thanks to Mercior for helping me with my fear of pointers ;)
puh

Post by puh »

s32_weaselType wrote:I'm thinking about posting a demo just for fun... but theres not really too much goin on yet... but soon.
Oh, it could be amazing!
Will you provide sources with the game? (I'm actually interested with integration of the Newton engine for camera movement...)
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

I'm not sure if I'll include the source yet... its kinda messey.
cari

oops

Post by cari »

you already have weapon animations, should this really be playable soon?
would be great.
is this playable with linux, too?
sorry, but i dont know if the engine is capable of this, because you said something of directx *g*
s32_weaselType

Post by s32_weaselType »

Well, there's really not much going on right now. I have the basic "bread and butter" weapon, the MP5 PDW. So far I've made a basic model with reload animation and sound, and a shooting animation without sound yet. And I have Newton physics intigrated and 4 rigid body types (2 crates, cardboard box, barrel). Last night I made a somewhat good-looking HUD. And I have dynamic lights that shade the rigid bodies and the viewmodel (and later on, the AI).

But thats about it so far, next I'm going to ray tracing, muzzleflash, and effects for hitting different materials.

But the funny thing is, I don't know was I'm going to name it! Or what the story-line should be! I'm not the best at thinking up stories, and names.

After I get a name and basic plot, I'm going to do a semi-re-write to clean it up a bit, then get to work on the next features.

I'm not sure about linux, I've never done much programming for linux, and I dont have linux installed on this machine anyways. But the rendering will be changable by the use for OpenGL or DirectX9.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

He's using Newton as physics engine, so don't expect a port to linux anytime soon, because Newton needs to be ported to linux first :)

http://www.physicsengine.com/forum/view ... ight=linux

Very nice shots though weaselType!
puh

Post by puh »

s32_weaselType wrote:I'm not sure if I'll include the source yet... its kinda messey.
It sounds promising 8)