The End of Dyeus, open world first-person action game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Mayto

The End of Dyeus, open world first-person action game

Post by Mayto »

Hey there,

I'm happy to present my next game: The End of Dyeus!
It's a first-person action and exploration game set in a fully open world, and it's - of course - made with Irrlicht.
It's coming this year on PC.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4T130HY8Ws

Screenshots:

I've been working on this project for about a year and a half now. Like my previous game, Worlds, I work alone, so I do everything from game design to music.

Technical:
As you can see in the screenshots, on a technical level, the graphics are pretty basic. I wanted it to look and feel like a 90s PC game, and as an open world game, it needs to run smoothly too.
So the game uses basic "fixed-function" lighting / rendering. No fancy shaders here except for terrain texturing (and it's still pretty simple). I also disabled texture filtering everywhere.

The game features a day and night cycle, with different weather conditions; sun and clouds move in real time, stars appear at night, etc. Again, it's made by combining basic elements together: billboards for the sun and the moon, and large, alpha textured models for the clouds and the stars. The program then interpolate between color parameters (EmissiveColor, etc) to change the time of day.

The collision detection is half homemade, half Irrlicht. The "physics" (gravity, acceleration) and basic ground detection are custom, while wall detection uses the Irrlicht "getCollisionResultPosition" method.
EDIT: Not anymore, everything is homemade now!

As an open world game, the program streams the different entities; enemies, buildings, trees... Most of them have lower polys counterparts, which are loaded and displayed so we can see them from afar. The world editor is directly integrated in the game, and I can switch between game and editor mode by the press of a key (which makes my life a lot easier!).

I don't really know what else to describe here, so if you want to know how anything is done, feel free to ask! As we are on the Irrlicht forums, I feel like the focus of this post should be on the technical part.
Feel free to give your feedbacks too, I'd love to know your thoughts on the game.

A big thank you to the Irrlicht dev team, I absolutely love this engine and its lightweight / speed focus!
Last edited by Mayto on Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven

Re: The End of Dyeus, open world first-person action game

Post by Seven »

This is awesome! Very nice job.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Wow, that looks nice, great style!
If you want it to show up on front-page of Irrlicht at some point send me a pm (preferably with text and screenshot you want used).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

This looks insanely great!
JLouisB

Post by JLouisB »

Sounds cool, curious to see that!
I remember testing and playing Worlds, it was a good game :)
This world looks bigger, hopefully there will be some varied environments like in Worlds
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Do you have an ETA for this? Can't wait to check it out!
Mayto

Post by Mayto »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it!

@JLouisB Hey, it's nice seeing you here! The End of Dyeus is a very different beast than Worlds. It features a single world so it's not as varied as Worlds overall, but there are lots of different environments / zones within this world. You can expect something close to a bigger 2D Zelda world, like A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening.

@Jedive Thank you, nothing more precise than 2020 for now!
jorgerosa
Competition winner

Post by jorgerosa »

Well done, Mayto!
Just saw the trailer, the game, the scenes, the music, everything is really nice :!:
tvault

Post by tvault »

This looks great!

What are the chances of creating a Raspberry Pi version?

I'm using Irrlicht on Raspberry Pi 3/4 and it works great.
shybovycha

Post by shybovycha »

The trailer looks awesome - I was driven off from watching it by just looking at the screenshots, tbh. Just curious: what tool (world editor) did you use to position all the things in the world?
Mayto

Post by Mayto »

@tvault Thanks! Pretty low to be honest, as I don't possess one myself :P But it'd sure be interesting to try to make the game run on it.

@shybovycha Thank you! The world editor is directly integrated in the game, so homemade.
Mayto

Post by Mayto »

If you want to see some gameplay footage of the game, I've started a serie of short videos in which I introduce a new enemy every wednesday.
You can check all the videos so far on my website [fr], or via this YouTube playlist.

Hope you'll enjoy them :)
Mayto

Post by Mayto »

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to announce that The End of Dyeus BETA is available! Whether you want to help me by playtesting it, or you're just curious and want to try the game, you can sign up on the Steam store page below:

A few notes:
  • Some feats are not calibrated yet, particularly "Minimalist" and "Only melee", which haven't been tested. Feel free to try them!
  • The final boss uses the same music as other bosses for now, but it will get its own in the final game.
  • Some sound effects are missing, but you shouldn't notice it too much.
If you've got a YouTube channel / Twitch account, feel free to record the game. It would give it more visibility, and can help me spot issues with the game.
And of course if you enjoy it, consider adding the game to your wishlist!

You can give me your feedbacks right here, on the Curious Planet Discord, or by clicking "Report an issue" in the pause menu.

Have fun!
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Great to see you got it that far! Maybe some day I'll install Steam ;-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Mayto

Post by Mayto »

Hey there,

I'm happy to announce that The End of Dyeus is finally done, and will be released on October 15th, 2021!
It will be available on Steam, and in a DRM-free version on the website.

I've made a new trailer for the release date announcement, which you can watch here: Release Date Trailer
And if you're interested in the game, consider adding it to your wishlist: Wishlist on Steam

Now a few more screenshots of the game:

Again, thanks a lot to the team behind Irrlicht, the engine is a real joy to use! I'm going 2D for my next game so I'll use SDL, but I really want to use Irrlicht again someday (in fact, I have a couple games in mind with the engine I've made for The End of Dyeus).