Irrlicht.... speed up rendering please.

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Espanol

Irrlicht.... speed up rendering please.

Post by Espanol »

All about features fo irrlicht at this time are satisfy me. May be because of my team has very rock artist members and my team can make beautyful look by their art work.... But, my team is working on a very large scene of war game. Some time, the view must reader up to 30,000 polygons(and a good news, I is not an extream best performance of irrlicht that I would like irrlicht to support) I would like irrlicht to support over 200,000 polygons at 60fps. OK, I know even some commercial engines can't do like I want but, I know, it's not much more than potential of irrlicht dev'team. I ensure that, some beauty and imagica look of graphic that irrlicht can support to produce is not nessesary than this point. Irrlicht ever has fast frame rate once over other popular engines before, why don't irrlicht concentrate on this point again and again to be CHARM of irrlicht.

P.S. in my opinion, some popular effect such as BLOOM, HDR or something like SHADER 3.0 can produce isn't harder than some irrlicht user's potential to mod and include them for irrlicht. Please.... before irrlicht sink into all of wonderful features but cannot use any of its feature because of slow rendering infrastructure.

I would like every one that read this topic include your idea about this along. Thank you for attention.

WAITING TO SEE THE DREAM COME TRUE. go go irrlicht!
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

in my opinion, some popular effect such as BLOOM, HDR or something like SHADER 3.0
Several people (myself included) don't have video cards with that kind of shader support.

But I'm half-asleep and I could just be delusional...

whee away with meee
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

just comment out the SlowDownEngine() function call in the irrlicht source
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

there is no shader 3.0 the latest is 2.0 :evil:
Curved

Post by Curved »

There most certainly is a Shader Model 3.0. Do a search on google :)

On the main topic, my impression is that the lastest in the programmable pipeline is only useful if you have many people working on a project. If you need all that functionality to customize your project, maybe a more extensive library, like OGRE, is more suited. My two cents is that Irrlicht fills a valuable gap for when you just want 3D graphics period, and don't need the shiney stuff (which the majority of projects using open source graphics systems never use) -- Irrlicht is much easier to use than OGRE because of that, which is why I am becoming fond of it.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

omar shaaban wrote:there is no shader 3.0 the latest is 2.0 :evil:
Haha in my world the latest is 1.4 :P
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

BlindSide wrote:Haha in my world the latest is 1.4 :P
The latest DirectX-SDK's HLSL compiler can't even compile this anymore. With it you need at least SM 2.0.

I'm still on 2.0. I'm next... :?
ZeRaW

Post by ZeRaW »

hmm i do not understand what do u mean by make it faster?
before going on to discuss shaders, the rendering of such an amount of polygons is done by ogl or dx. irrlicht tries to do its best to deliver a good list for these renderes and does the best job, cuz i do not think there is another way to do it. if u want to be able to render faster i think u should contact dx or ogl.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

ZeRaW wrote:irrlicht tries to do its best to deliver a good list for these renderes and does the best job, cuz i do not think there is another way to do it.
Oh, for starters: hardware buffers, shadowmapping instead of volumetric shadows, or at least these with two-sided stencilling and extrusion via shader.
Irrlicht doesn't use many features of today's hardware that enable faster rendering really.
TheC

Post by TheC »

DX based hardware buffers mean changing code that allows cross platform ability. It is much faster though.

Shadowmapping would be nice, but this would be down to creating a shader yourself, since people would only then complain that the shader did not do X Y and Z.

HDR and Bloom? Make it yourself, irrlichts a good base for a rendering engine, no such thing as CreateGame("Metal Gear Solid") ;)
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

TheC wrote: HDR and Bloom? Make it yourself, irrlichts a good base for a rendering engine, no such thing as CreateGame("Metal Gear Solid") ;)
WHAT?! There's no function like that?

My dreams are ruined.
Espanol

Post by Espanol »

Saturn wrote:
ZeRaW wrote:irrlicht tries to do its best to deliver a good list for these renderes and does the best job, cuz i do not think there is another way to do it.
Oh, for starters: hardware buffers, shadowmapping instead of volumetric shadows, or at least these with two-sided stencilling and extrusion via shader.
Irrlicht doesn't use many features of today's hardware that enable faster rendering really.
This is a good start point to discuss to. Follow by HOW....

From TheC : "DX based hardware buffers mean changing code that allows cross platform ability. It is much faster though. "

Can u please explain this solution(just an architechture idea or more is very please) and may be all of irrlicht user can work together to be a very rock group of user that make an evolution for Irrlicht like other bigger engine have been done.
Last edited by Espanol on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Espanol

Post by Espanol »

SHADER 3.0 is not release for being public knowledge now, it just be a developing architecture.
But right of the right, I didn't hope to see the news of SHADER3.0 be the replacement of this main topic. I would like to see every (intelligent and fair) body to discuss on "how to bulid a CHARM of irrlicht come true by make it to be the fastest open source engine" and more flexible to plug many useful graphic technics by every irrlicht advance user.
Thank you for interesting in this topic.

WAITING TO SEE THE DREAM COME TRUE. go go irrlicht!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

lol gotta love the guys who try to rally everyone into doing the hard stuff for them.

I agree irrlicht needs shitloads of improvements.. but the list is long so sit tight and be patient.

btw I don't know how to make it faster couldn't write it myself.

which is why we all use it I think.. well that or laziness but those people aren't doing anything either.

shader 3.0 lol man you dream big that poop won't be main stream for awhile yet you people have no patients... I'm the only one that can wait for anything in life.

you will slow down when you're dead I suppose. :roll:
Espanol

Post by Espanol »

OK.... I'm sorry for talking the word "shader3.0", I didn't want everyone concentrate to that rude WORD. I am so sorry....