weights with .x

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
monkeycracks

weights with .x

Post by monkeycracks »

Alright, I've read around on the forums about the problem with the .x models 'exploding' beccause of bone weight or whatnot.
Is it possiblt to modify Irrlicht so that it is still correctly animated with keyframes and bones and not take into account the weigh? I ask because I have this problem too and I've tried everything except going through each of my models 20somthing bones and calculating weights and such. If theres a guide to it I might get bored one day, but eh... untill then can I just disable it and how?
xtheagonyscenex

Post by xtheagonyscenex »

you fix weights in the 3d progs like maya has a good one
"Held in Your arms but too far from my heart." "These thoughts will carry me through the darkest nights...while your eyes rest in mine."
"How quickly I forget that this is meaningless."
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

I know WHERE to fix the weights.
I don't know how, or why it matters. So couldn't the weight part of the .x importer just be disabled? Or would that affect the whole model.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Is there another file format (other than md2) that Irrlicht supports animations with? And is there an exporter or way to get it that way from 3ds Max 8?

:D
Thanks.
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

this happens becouse of redundand verticies. The X file has its vertexes and weights, which are correct, but once the vertexes flow into a buffer and are processed, who know where and how new verticies are created, (activities which results in creating redundant verticies are f.e tangents creation, maight be also some optimizing methods or such). You first must be sure that the export of your X file is correct in first place. Why don't you www public some of the "models" for others to test them?
what is this thing...
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

With Panda exporter it's not, with another one I found it's just fine.
Problem is, the other one I have's animations don't work!!

If it's not one thing it's another.
sgt_pinky

Post by sgt_pinky »

Just so that you know it's possible, I happily got Panda exporter working with Max 6 and Max 8 with Irrlicht - on a complicated human character, with vertex weighting.

I downloaded the actual model from Turbosquid, added bones in Max, painted weights, animated bones, exported, imported to irrlicht - everything worked fine.

I had to play around a bit with the exporter options - ie, to export transformation matrices, bones, etc.

Cheers,

Pinky
Intellectuals solve problems - geniuses prevent them. -- Einstein
#irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

Would you mind sharing the options that worked for you?
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

monkeycracks wrote:Is there another file format (other than md2) that Irrlicht supports animations with? And is there an exporter or way to get it that way from 3ds Max 8?

Thanks.
Blitz 3D (.b3d) works great for me in 3Ds Max 6.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Does irrlicht support bone animation in that format though? Also, does it take in account the weights? (For god's sake please say no)
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Yeah b3d supports bone animation and it takes in account the weights
For god's sake please say no
??

by the way, monkeycracks can you compile Irrlicht?, I’ve got something that might help you
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Yeah, I've made several revisions and recompiled it. I'm just having this annoyingly hard time with weights.

Watcha got for me?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

It’s the exporters fault really, but this may fix the weight problem,

I’ll not sure if the patch will work on 1.2, I’m using the SVN

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/10/ ... tFix.patch
pin3

Post by pin3 »

I've built a model for testing purposes.
http://proimpact2.googlepages.com/human.b3d

When I load the model in Unwrap3D (downloaded the demo) the animation plays just fine (one leg lifts off the ground). When I load the model inside Irrlicht MeshViewer the chest explodes.
Amt0571 wrote:
monkeycracks wrote:Is there another file format (other than md2) that Irrlicht supports animations with? And is there an exporter or way to get it that way from 3ds Max 8?

Thanks.
Blitz 3D (.b3d) works great for me in 3Ds Max 6.
Could you explain how you do it. i.e what b3d export settings you're using, and how do you solve the weights problem.
zeno60 wrote:Would you mind sharing the options that worked for you?
I'd be interested too.
Luke wrote:It’s the exporters fault really, but this may fix the weight problem,

I’ll not sure if the patch will work on 1.2, I’m using the SVN

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/10/ ... tFix.patch
How do you open a patch file? =]
Last edited by pin3 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

pin3 can you compile Irrlicht, I can send you the files