Multiple Levels: Best Approach

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
internetking

Multiple Levels: Best Approach

Post by internetking »

Hi,
I'm writing a game with multiple levels actually 3 scene. It features a guy who has to solve some problems and therefore has to move from the village to the "town" to the "academy" not in any particular order. He moves to the required place based on the current mission but his "home" is in the village.

I want to know the best approach. I've tried saving and loading the scene to and from an irr file when the play moves across scenes but this is way too slow - the scenes are detailed.

What do I do especially since I can't have multiple scenes?

Really need help with this one.

Thank you
buhatkj

not easy...

Post by buhatkj »

well, this will hog memory like crazy, but you could pre-load everything, make it all effectively one scene and simply hide the two inactive parts with setVisible

your other option is to come up with a way to do true streaming worlds, as a AAA game would do (i read for instance that that is how GUN worked...)
you will need to do a good bit of coding for that.....
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net