College+Programming?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
monkeycracks

College+Programming?

Post by monkeycracks »

I know it would help you to get the job probably if you went to college but it it required? By job I mean programming with a company or something like that. I've got 4-5 years before I can go but it's still something I need to know ;)

Main reason for asking is college isn't cheap and I need to know if its worth spending the money on it or not. I'll have Pre-calc or calc done by the end of highschool and it'd be 5 years of programming when I graduate (Assuming I don't fail a grade)
AaronA

Post by AaronA »

I always thought college, certificates, and etc. were a waste of time regarding the learning process - seeing as I dropped out of highschool and all, but in a sence college is a good resume padder, and big companies tend to hire college graduates a lot more than highschool dropouts :x.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

I figure I'll finish highschool at least (So I can get all this math crap under my belt) but after that College seems pretty much a waste of money to me unless I wanted to join a major company for programming. But thinking about it I'd rather do my own productions, it's just that I wouldn't be able to live off that really ;)
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

< Gets on his soap box >

Main point of my post - College is a COMPLETE waste of time for computer programming.

Right out of high school I wanted to go to a technical school for computer sceince, do the 1 year course, get a certificate and start programming. My father refused to pay for it, saying that college was the only way to get ahead in the professional world. So, I decided to give in( old man was paying ) and signed up for pre-engineering. I took 5 classes that first semester, Sociology, Macroeconomics, English, Biology and Calculus. It completely boggled my mind why I had to take those first 4 classes when I wanted to be a computer/software engineer, Calculus is the only class which made any sense to take. Needless to say, I rebeled, partied my rear off and dropped out of college after that first semester.

So I took a semseter off and worked, while trying to convince my father that the technical school would be fine, and he wouldnt go for it. So after the 1 semester off, I went to community college and signed up for a Comp Sci degree. Again, I had to take Microeconomics and English, and then took Calculus and Physics. Calc and Physics made sense but Micro and English didn't. I actually managed to finish the semster( although I did drop English after getting into many fights with my English professor [ that's a whole `nother story ] ).

So, I stopped college again after that semester. I worked for a couple years at various jobs, enjoyed life, partied it up and saved up some money. Got some help from my mom with a co-sign on a student loan and put myself through a technical school.

After getting the technical degree( which was a joke of a course BTW, I actually taught 2 of the classes( C++ and J++ ) because I knew more than the teacher about them ), I had some tough times getting a job, people were still convinced that if you had a college degree you were smarter. After about 2-3 years of bartending and partying( notice the continued trend of partying, have fun no matter how tough things are ), I managed to get a job as an Applications Engineer. That was in November of 2000.

Here I am, 6 years and 2 months later and I'm a Lead Developer/Senior Applications Engineer, with 4-8 engineers working for me( who all have college degrees and are all at least 5 years older than me, the number varies based on projects I'm managing at the time ). I'm right on the bubble of making 6 figures already, with no college degree and a certificate from a technical school( which has since gone out of business ).

I've had many developers that I've worked with / worked for me that were fresh out of college. They knew absolutely nothing about developing applications. They know Hello World, tons of stuff about hardware and low level OS stuff, but nothing about network programming with sockets, thread concepts like mutexes/critical sections. They barely even knew C++, colleges are still teaching most of their courses in Assembly and C, and now they are all leaning more towards Java.

Now, I will say that having a college education on your resume can help you get a job, but when I hire people, it's the LAST thing I look at. I'm more concerned with experience( both on the job and personal like open source projects and the like ). There are organizations like the US Govt, that set their pay rates based on education / experience and are very strict about it. So you'll get paid more if you have a AS, BS, MS, etc.

So, now that I'm done ranting! :twisted: I would recommend some kind of after high school education. Trying to get into the professional world with only a HS Diploma is very difficult( unless you know someone ). I think college is a complete waste( aside from the partying aspect ) and would recommend a technical college that supplies strictly programming, not english, history, economics, and all that other non-computer related crap.

Whatever you do....good luck! :D
Last edited by Spintz on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

Good post, Spintz! Spintz++

There's a major problem in Computer Science departments right now. They're still telling people that the need for programmers is on a huge rise.

It's a lie.

The need for people with _other_ skills/knowledge/experience/education that can _program_ is on the rise. A straight up programmer... not as much.

I would try to find another field that interests you, and then learn both. That way you have a degree in a certain field and the training in programming. That way... you can get a job in either, or both. That's what I would reccomend.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

Taken from Tom Slopers 10 STUPID WANNABE TRICKS:
3. STUPID IMPATIENCE
A lotta guys don't want to bother going to college and getting a four-year degree, they want to jump into the industry RIGHT NOW while the iron is hot. America is a nation of immediate gratification junkies - we think we gotta have what we want right now, without having to work and wait for it. Well, that's just dumb. Anything good (like a job in game design) is worth working towards, and waiting for. Anything good don't come easy. Besides, if you jump right in and apply for a tester job or mailroom job or gopher job without going to college first, you're just hampering your chances for advancement. See "stupid under-preparedness," #8 below, for more about this.
8. STUPID UNDER-PREPAREDNESS
No four-year college degree. No portfolio. No demo disc. No accomplishments to point to. Whatever this wannabe hasn't done, he has an excuse.
"There was no game school near me." "My parents couldn't afford a game school."
"I read where all the colleges were starting to teach about games, so I wanted to jump into the industry before all the grads started sending in their applications."
If you want to work in games, you have to prepare. You need a solid educational underpinning - if you want to program games, get a programming degree. If you want to make game graphics, get a graphic degree. If you want to design games, study writing, psychology, history, and earth sciences so you know how worlds work, and prepare yourself by other means as well. See Lesson 3 and Lesson 4. If you want to be a game designer, you have to have some skills and talents that are valuable to a game company so they'll want to hire you - either as a programmer, artist, project coordinator, marketer, whatever. First you have to get hired at a game company - nobody just hires neophytes and gives them the title "game designer" right off the bat.
Once you've gotten your degree, you still haven't prepared enough. A lot of people are climbing all over each other to get those game biz jobs.
If you want to get into a game company's graphics department, you need a great portfolio and/or demo reel. And I mean GREAT. When somebody opens your portfolio or watches your demo reel, their jaw should drop and/or their socks should pop off. It's stupid to walk into an art job interview without a portfolio or demo reel, or with a bad portfolio or demo reel. It's not easy to make a great portfolio or demo reel, but what have I said elsewhere in this lesson about "easy"? Anyway?
If you want to get into a game company's programming department, you probably ought to have a demo disc and you definitely need to have some sample code. They need to see that you can create solid code - they need to see what your code looks like because on a game project, the team members have to be able to read each others' code. It would be stupid to show up for a programming interview without good clean readable sample code.
10. STUPID WHINING
America is largely a nation of "victims." Nothing is ever "my" fault - it's always somebody ELSE's fault. Or "I couldn't get into college because my skin is green," or "I couldn't get into games because I'm from Iceland," or "The game industry is run by a bunch of idiots who couldn't see how the Rastafarian ideology is the solution to all their problems."
Life is like a card game (or as I prefer to couch this analogy, mah-jongg, but that's just me). There are circumstances beyond our control, and there are choices we make on our own. In cards, you are dealt some random cards - you have no control over what cards you are dealt - that's just luck (either bad, good, or in between). As you play the game, you pick in more cards - again, you have no control over what cards you pick in - that's all luck. And as you play the game, you discard some cards - this is where you exert control, where your strategy and skill and creativity come into play. You also put on a "poker face" while playing, or at least you should. But I'm straying off the analogy. Building a career in the game biz is a lot like that too.
In the beginning, the cards you're dealt are the life circumstances of your childhood - you have no control over who your parents are and what they do for a living, and how much money they have to help you with your advanced education. But as you play the game, you can exert some control over the situation - you help pick the college you'll attend, and you are the one who works hard to get good grades (or flunks out from laziness or poor attitude). And after college, the game biz is in whatever condition it's in (maybe Zcube is beating Ysphere in the market, or maybe there's a war on and the stock market crashes, or maybe a glut of college grads has made the job market extremely competitive), and that is out of your control, but how you act, the choices you make, determine your chances of succeeding within that environment.
I kinda rambled on a bit there. The point is that whining is for losers. If you wanna be a winner, don't put a lot of energy into whining about things outside your control. Take control of your life, and be creative in your approach to the world. See Lesson 3 for more about Whining VS Winning.
Now exceptions do not disprove rules, yet rules are obeyed or broken, and in every situation it is possible to become a game designer with no college-degree. But you are just completly out of it if you think it can 100% happen to you. I don't think you should ask yourself if college is important, its a no brainer. What you should be asking is four-year or specialized (Full Sail, Digipen). Or Computer Sci Degree or "Game Design" degree.
shagdawg

Post by shagdawg »

So graduating from college just a couple of years ago. Now first off the program at my school was actully pretty good. And I have learned all the things that was posted in another thread, (sockets, threads, etc..)however some of them were from personal choice because well I could of taken crap classes like most people but took the harder option.

Anyhow, yes a majority of CS programs at colleges are really crapy. However, the main point that I got out of college was to not learn how to program well *gasp*.

Most of the skills that I learned that have really helped me came from experiences that I had in college. Being an office on the 2nd biggest club on campus putting on weekly events with teaching some sort of lesson once a month. And putting on 2 major events where we would have over 1 thousand people at them. All of this takes a ton of planning and networking. I also gained valuable experience in being one of the officers of my frat, you try to run a house with 40 people in it and tell me how easy it is. From these two things I have learned skills that I actully use more in my day to day job.

When going to diffrent employers and giving them my resume a lot of them would just jump down to my hobies because they relize that someone can be the world's best programer/engineer/etc.... but if you can't work with the people around you your skill becomes wasted. And hobies can actully have many skills needed that employers are looking for. Networking/social interactions
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

Event hough i still have 1.5 years to go before going into college and i think studying anything is simply a waste of time except the field you want to be a professional in but i still think college is important cause without it u can ruin your life very easily!
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

RapchikProgrammer wrote:...and i think studying anything is simply a waste of time except the field you want to be a professional in...
This is exactly the problem with computer programmers. I would rather hire an average programmer with a good understanding of Modelling & Simulation protocols than an expert programmer who has no clue about M&S protocols.

I would estimate that I do programming about 15-25% of my time, at times going months without doing ANY programming.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

Spintz wrote:
RapchikProgrammer wrote:...and i think studying anything is simply a waste of time except the field you want to be a professional in...
This is exactly the problem with computer programmers. I would rather hire an average programmer with a good understanding of Modelling & Simulation protocols than an expert programmer who has no clue about M&S protocols.

I would estimate that I do programming about 15-25% of my time, at times going months without doing ANY programming.
So are you saying a programmer who understands the technical aspects of 3D rendering? As in knowing buffers, how they work, etc. how the rendering pipeline transforms 3d data into 2d images, etc. Might not know how to model or texturize, but does know how models are made, and how texture mapping is done? Or you would rather have a programmer who can actually model? i.e. one who could open up 3DS Max or Maya and make you an average looking object, then import that and experiment with their average programming?

RapchikProgrammer wrote:Event hough i still have 1.5 years to go before going into college and i think studying anything is simply a waste of time except the field you want to be a professional in but i still think college is important cause without it u can ruin your life very easily!
Depending on what that other "anything" is in my opinion. A programmer studying ... pfff ... theology (random). Waste of time? If he/she is looking to become a full-time programmer, yes. But what if he/she is working on a game dealing with ancient gods and demons? That waste of time has made them a very suitable candidate for lead game designer. But I think it is very important for programmers to minor or duel major in related fields such as Math, Physics, etc. Or have a degree with "a concentration in" math, ai, game development, etc. I don't think it is a waste of time to study new things which interest you.

Specially that them their english classes.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Modelling & Simulation is not the Modelling you're thinking of. Guess I should clarify that considering this is 3D forums :D

Here's a web page with a decent explanation of Modelling & Simulation -

http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbarsh/simulation/sim.htm
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Well I didn't necessarily mean I wanted to be hired as a game programmer(though it'd be nice), I was just curious about how much employers leaned on college degrees and such. It's not that I'm impatient (as zeno's post refers to), I don't think 5 years of programming is unprepared, and lastly I won't be whining if I get adequate information (the reason I asked this).

@Sprintz, Great post, thanks :D

I think I'll lean more towards 3d math and programming as networking confuses me sometimes (I'm somewhat new to it, but I'm learning fast).

And I know I used a lot of comma splices in that post, I'm too worn out for grammar today though.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

monkeycracks wrote:Well I didn't necessarily mean I wanted to be hired as a game programmer(though it'd be nice), I was just curious about how much employers leaned on college degrees and such. It's not that I'm impatient (as zeno's post refers to), I don't think 5 years of programming is unprepared, and lastly I won't be whining if I get adequate information (the reason I asked this).

@Sprintz, Great post, thanks :D

I think I'll lean more towards 3d math and programming as networking confuses me sometimes (I'm somewhat new to it, but I'm learning fast).

And I know I used a lot of comma splices in that post, I'm too worn out for grammar today though.
aslong as all your posts dont end up lookin like dis then yur ok cause its annoyin when people do this and say "oh who cares about typing" just like "oh who cares about the way i speak durin an interview yo."

Anyway, I was in no way calling you impatient or a whiner. Unfortunate as the titles may be, they are only titles, whats important is the substance, I think its great that you are asking questions about your immediate and future career plans. A great site where you will find a valuable answer to all your questions about education, or how to prepare for a career as a programmer is via IGDA (http://www.igda.org/). Many industry professionals are regulars on their forums which are broken down into many categories, and there are plenty of special interest groups related to "Breaking in" or just general programming/game design which contain papers and docs. Hey, if you even find you have a chapter in your area, check out when they meet and see if you can show up as a non-member to get a feel, network and such, then consider joining as a student member, you get some pretty decent discounts on books/expos and such.[/url]
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Ah ok, I thought you were ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: College+Programming?

Post by CuteAlien »

monkeycracks wrote:I know it would help you to get the job probably if you went to college but it it required?
Depends a lot on the company. It is not a requirement, you can get many jobs as programmer without college. But it will help sometimes, especially when applying for higher paid jobs. And it usually will never hurt to have a college education.
monkeycracks wrote: Main reason for asking is college isn't cheap and I need to know if its worth spending the money on it or not.
I'd say education is about the only thing that's really worth spending money on.