Can't load exported mesh

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Masa

Can't load exported mesh

Post by Masa »

I'm trying to make models to use in Irrlicht, and downloaded Blender to do so. I exported a model into a .obj, .ms3d, and .x file and loaded each version with the Mesh Viewer. The console said that the mesh loaded for every file type, but it visually wasnt there for any of the 3 formats. I REALLY dont want to be stuck using milkshape :( . Please help!
Caecus

Post by Caecus »

If all three didn't show up it was most likely due to the positioning of the model in 3d space.

Go check and see if you modeled it around the origin in Blender. Also check the scale. Load the dwarf up and compare the size/positioning of your models in Blender.

This is the only problem I can really see.
Masa

Post by Masa »

Well i had built the model around the origin in Blender, and when i took the faerie mesh from the Irrlicht/Media folder and import it into Blender as a RAW file (by first changing the file with Milkshape), Blender appeared to have loaded it but no mesh appeared in the window.
pheadbaq

Post by pheadbaq »

Masa, I've had the exact same problem as you and I wonder if Blender's coordinate system is different? I'm pretty sure I even tried messing with the setPosition method of AnimatedMeshSceneNode and still no joy. In any case, I've recently been using the script found here to export to directX format:
http://www.omariben.too.it/

After exporting, I use the MView program included in the DirectX 9 SDK (thanks go to Serg for mentioning that one) to re-save it as a text .x file and then it'll show up in Irrlicht. I don't know what MView does to it (perhaps resets the origin?) but it seems to work. If I take the straight export from Blender and try it, I end up with "unrecognized data block, Header..." yadda yadda yadda. Now my only problem is getting textures to map to the .x mesh :(

Anyway I'd be interested to see what kind of results you get using the above method, especially the texturing part.
Pronunciation: 'feedback' ;)
Masa

Post by Masa »

Thanks for the info pheadbaq, i'll go download that now :D . Just so you know even when I would export a model using Milkshape and laod it into irrlicht, I would also only get a mesh, and the texture would have to be connected via irrlicht, but i'll try it out.

Update: I cant figure out how to export the model properly with that exporter, although i'm running Blender 2.32, not 2.3 or 2.25. I tried exporting a .x file from another blender exporter i had downloaded earler and from milkshape, and neither of those could open in MView.
PadrinatoR

Post by PadrinatoR »

I had the same problem until I read this:
No mesh can be seen !

Error or no mesh displayed in MeshViewer can be caused by the material name in max beginning with a number i.e. 1_default causes all kind of problems for the underlying material routines. So just give the materials in max a proper name.

You can read it in the Panda Exporter web, in the Help section (http://www.pandasoft.demon.co.uk/directxmax4.htm)

Bye!
There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

--------------------------------------------

pheadbaq

Success exporting Blender to .x for use in Irrlicht :D

Post by pheadbaq »

Sorry for digging up some of these old threads (3 now I think), but there seem to be a lot of people having troubles with .x files (myself included :( ). Anyway, you may want to read the last post at the following link:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22670

After exporting, load the .x in MeshView (comes with DX9 SDK, and you should see textures if it worked) and resave as a txt .x file, and it should work in Irrlicht.

Ok... I'll stop senselessly repeating myself now :D
Pronunciation: 'feedback' ;)