What is harder - Character with bones or animated mesh

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Bartek

What is harder - Character with bones or animated mesh

Post by Bartek »

Hey just a quick question.

Im working on a project and would like to know if it is more difficult working with animated mesh objects in Irrlicht, or if an animated character with bones is harder. I need the felxibility and complex animation I can only do with bones (using 3ds max), and would like to know if it is harder for a programmer to import animated bones meshes rather than just animated mesh data (like md2 format). I would be using .x format for the bones character.

-Bartek
veegun

Post by veegun »

Look here:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=16998

It might help answer your question.
abraham

Post by abraham »

actually i was using the produre tudorial and the whole thing work except my animations.im new to all the animation stuff but when i use key by fram to animate my lara and then use 'save animation' to save it under xml and then exported it to panda. tried it in meshviewer,it wont animate:(
n7600gt 256mb ram 128bit
AMD 3200+
GA-K8NF-9 gigabyte
Bartek

Post by Bartek »

Thanks Veegun but I already saw that thread.

I am an animator/artist so for me its no problem. I am talking about the programmer - is it more difficult for the programmer who is taking my models, for him to work with animated meshes like md2, or animated bones like .x
a_haouchar

Post by a_haouchar »

their be more work involved, and it could be difficult if the programmer isn experienced with this kind of stuff.
pin3

Re: What is harder - Character with bones or animated mesh

Post by pin3 »

Bartek wrote:Hey just a quick question.

Im working on a project and would like to know if it is more difficult working with animated mesh objects in Irrlicht, or if an animated character with bones is harder. I need the felxibility and complex animation I can only do with bones (using 3ds max), and would like to know if it is harder for a programmer to import animated bones meshes rather than just animated mesh data (like md2 format). I would be using .x format for the bones character.

-Bartek
Bone animation is pretty much standard nowadays for animating characters.
You shouldn't worry about how the programmer will do it. In case of Irrlicht that has been taken care of. The only thing the programmer will do is load the mesh and use it.
harukiblue

Te he

Post by harukiblue »

I think for a new programmer like my self md2 would be easier, simple because all of the tutorials that use animations use .md2. However, if they do the proper research they will find out it is just as easy to do animations with the .x

The hardest part about .x is not actually using it in irrlicht, but rather exporting it from such popular programs like 3D Studio max in a useable manor. 3D Stuio uses character studio (bipeds [as well as bones]) which are aplied to meshes via the physic modifier, and irrlicht needs it in as a skin modifier. So you have to export it in the . fbx format (which transfers the animation data from biped info over to a bone structure with keys) then into the .x format where irrlicht can properly use the animated mesh. If this mesh is properly exported then Yes they are just as easy to use for us, If not they No they are a big hassle!

I hope my $0.02 was helpful to you, Good luck there mate!
luckymutt

Re: Te he

Post by luckymutt »

harukiblue wrote:3D Stuio uses character studio (bipeds [as well as bones]) which are aplied to meshes via the physic modifier, and irrlicht needs it in as a skin modifier. So you have to export it in the . fbx format (which transfers the animation data from biped info over to a bone structure with keys) then into the .x format where irrlicht can properly use the animated mesh.
You are correct about the need to go through *.fbx is to turn a CS Biped into Bones.

However, in regards to the skinning:
Max does have a Skin Modifier(since version 8 ) which works well with bones or bipeds, but even still the Physique Modifier will work just fine when exported to X and opened in Irrlicht.

Best workflow to go directly from Max to an X file that Irrlicht will be happy with is to create the bones yourself, rather than using a biped.

And honestly, creating bones in Max is FAST and EASY and much less of a headache than exporting through various formats.

Personally, I can't stand the CS Biped. The only good thing about it is that Motion Capture can be loaded directly into it. Adding MoCap to a custom rig isn't to dificult though.
Join us in the Irrlicht chatroom:
[url]irc://irc.freenode.net/irrlicht[/url]

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -D.Adams
a_haouchar

Post by a_haouchar »

ok i got a lara and she has bones and hoq i do i save animations to get it to work in irrlicht with x? i tried o animate her but it didn show uop in mesh viewer,she just stayed!.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

for programmer it is the same!! but bones are better because if he would like to edit the animations.