Zombie Game - School Project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
kohaar

Post by kohaar »

Your right, as long as it works :-)

Yep. The new guy is pretty tall. Have to scale him even more :-)

I know the thing about the girl looks stupid. Would be nice to get every animation to run at the speed, at which the characters move, but again, that could also end up looking stupid at places where they are almost not moving because of collision.

I have worked with IrrNewt, and had hoped I could get it implemented before the hand in, but I have some problems with it. Maybe after the exam, I will take a look at it. It would defiantly solve a lot of problems.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

sorry, i was one of those 30 random people who didn't comment!
The only obvious bug I could find is I had difficulty getting down the tunnel, I got stuck at the top.
I love the models and the world, nice work :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
kohaar

Post by kohaar »

Thanks for the comment :-)

I know about the tunnel problem. Actually it has been redesigned 4 times to compensate for the collision. It's quite tricky to get the character to move correctly while still avoid collision on even the smallest obstacles. It's also quite hard to move up or down the sidewalks.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

i turned it off in the tunnel because it quickly went from like 20 something frames per sec. to about 0-3; Your really gonna want to get that fixed.

Post by kohaar »

What graphics card do you have?
Acki

Post by Acki »

Hi,
I saw a graphical error with the cross hair...

res 800x600 (ok):

res 1024x768 (wrong):

res 1280x800:
my monitor can't do that... :cry:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
kohaar

Post by kohaar »

Strange. I have tested it on two other computers, and both didn't have this problem. I always run in 1024x768. Could perhaps be an anti-aliasing problem?

This is the code for drawing the aim. I can't see that there should be anything wrin with it, and the res[] variables checks out.

Code: Select all

#include "irrlicht.h"
#include "CWeaponAim.h"

using namespace irr;

void CWeaponAim::addAim()
{
	aim = CGameMain::getDriver()->getTexture("./GameData/Weapons/Div/aim.bmp");
	CGameMain::getDriver()->makeColorKeyTexture(aim, position2d<s32>(0,0));
}

void CWeaponAim::drawAim()
{
	CGameMain::getDriver()->draw2DImage(aim, position2d<s32>((CPropLoader::res[0]/2)-16, (CPropLoader::res[1]/2)-16), rect<s32>(0, 0, 32, 32), 0, SColor(255,255,255,255), true); 
}

I just tried a test i opengl with all graphics settings turned to full, and for some reason some of the characters are missing bodies and/or textures. I would think this and the crosshair problem is irrlicht oriented?

Acki

Post by Acki »

Well, I started it with fullscreen on and the res of 1024x768....
Now the cross hair is correct !!!
So this is an error because of windowed mode !!!
I think in windowed mode the resolution you choose is not the resolution Irrlicht uses so the intern (setted) resolution will be scaled to the window !?!?!

So no fault from your side !!! ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
kohaar

Post by kohaar »

I just checked, and I get no error in either fullscreen or window mode, but if it happens on some computers it must have something to do with the way irrlich uses its 2d coordinates in comparrison to the window dimensions?
lostclimategames

im using an radeon x1400 and i can run most games well like fear, doom, and hl2, and i realize that irrlicht renders a bit slow, but so does 3d game studio, and i've run much higher graphical games on my machine with that software without problem, it has to be something to do with the collision. :(
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

kohaar wrote:I know about the tunnel problem. Actually it has been redesigned 4 times to compensate for the collision. It's quite tricky to get the character to move correctly while still avoid collision on even the smallest obstacles. It's also quite hard to move up or down the sidewalks.
This week I've been updating my website with some of my Irrlicht demos. Yesterday I posted a Newton Physics demo. You may want to grab the demo and take a look - source code is included.
kohaar

Post by kohaar »

I already downloaded it :-) I'll take a look at it after the exam.

Regarding performance. I know it's slow, but I get descent performance on a x600 which should be somewhat similar in performance.

None of the objects are that high poly, and I think the largest amount of polys being rendered in one scene are at most 30.000 polys. All the characters are animated, and if I turn them off, the framerate increases a lot, so it might have to do with animation being slow, or the collision-point function used for moving the characters.

The zombies are about 2000polys each and if I insert only 4 more in the desert, I notice a 10fps drop. Could have something to do with it.
lostclimategames

i dont think it has anything to do with the polys, as i can look at the whole landscape with all the zombies, and its fine, and somehow i dont think that hallway has anymore than 1000polys, it has to be something to do with the physics

Post by kohaar »

I'll try to turn off collision detection on every animated character. It will however first be after the 23. I will work on it. Have to write my presentation, and I'm far behind because there is so much good on the television right now.;-)
sudi

Post by sudi »

i downloaded the game, but when starting it kindof loads for ever....so i can't play it
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.