Can .x contain keyframe animation data (no bones)?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Bartek

Can .x contain keyframe animation data (no bones)?

Post by Bartek »

Can a .x contain animation that is just vertex / keyframe animation (like md2) or does it have to have bones? So far I cant export an animated mesh with Panda exporter - in irrlict no animation displays. I have a character model that is animated using keyframes.

Any ideas?

-Bartek
arras

Post by arras »

I don't think so. Just bones.
drac_gd

Post by drac_gd »

Yup you can, Just check Include animation but uncheck bones.
I X File setting check text and Sub Frame Heiarchy

In animation if you check Key frames it should look like it is going apeshit in mesh view but probably ok in irrlicht.. If you use 3ds max ticks then use a setting like 3000 sampling rate or after your model is loaded in irrlicht you will need to set the animation speed up high ( arround 3000 ) otherwise it will look like it is not animating but it is at a very very slow rate.

Check your animation by using meshview that comes with the older DirectX sdks to make sure they exported :)
abraham

Post by abraham »

i got the same problem and i tried what you suggested and still isn working. im aniamting lara with key frame with bones and then export it to panda and then do the settings,then try it out in meshviewer.not the directx 1 and she wont move.
n7600gt 256mb ram 128bit
AMD 3200+
GA-K8NF-9 gigabyte
arras

Post by arras »

from Irr doc:
under irr::scene::ISceneManager::getMesh(const c8 * filename) :

DirectX (.x)

Platform independent importer (so not D3D-only) for .x files. Most 3D packages can export these natively and there are several tools for them available. (e.g. the Maya exporter included in the DX SDK) .x files can include skeletal animations and Irrlicht is able to play and display them. Currently, Irrlicht only supports text encoded .x files.
Bartek

Post by Bartek »

arras wrote:from Irr doc:
under irr::scene::ISceneManager::getMesh(const c8 * filename) :

DirectX (.x)

Platform independent importer (so not D3D-only) for .x files. Most 3D packages can export these natively and there are several tools for them available. (e.g. the Maya exporter included in the DX SDK) .x files can include skeletal animations and Irrlicht is able to play and display them. Currently, Irrlicht only supports text encoded .x files.
But that doesnt say it DOESNT support keyframe vertex animation.