The "Solaris" Project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
iZOTOPE

The "Solaris" Project

Post by iZOTOPE »

Plutonium Pie Software proudly presents : Solaris.

This will be a MMORPG game build using Irrlicht 3D engine, it will use a state of the art nework code, so that the game doesn't need a dedicated server to see all others game participants ;) (still in developement)

At this stage the project is in its early stages, we are making the basic story, the structure and idea of the game (by the way it will be sci fi based, so no more fantasy mmo's :D )

any help is welcome.

cheers !
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

well i hope you can make this work, i dont know how you think your gonna do it without a dedicated server, but lets hope you can :)
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

you going to build it with peer to peer connecting?

And where do you store user data than? on the client pc? that could be easy hacked,
iZOTOPE

Post by iZOTOPE »

not so easy, the user data will be stored on all clients in the same time, so if someone tries to hack it, once he started the game, the game will update the user data form all other clients, and overwrites the hacked data :D.also it will be encrypted ;)
sudi

Post by sudi »

so in other words you want to use the clients as the host itself?
that would mean every player must have a big harddrive to store that data.....and probably a pretty fast, too. When you don'T have a server which is running the mainlogic
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Halan

Post by Halan »

i think something like that would generate real chaos ;) have fun debugging :lol:
iZOTOPE

Post by iZOTOPE »

well, no need for big and pure horse power on hardware :D, believe me, it's hard for me to explain in english what is on my mind with this project :D
just hope for the best :D
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

mann, saving al client data on al client computers, that eats space, my own MMORPG database for mythorgia has already 50mb ( 4 test users ) on data saved, and saving parts on other pcs will create the problem that all clients have to be online to send the missing data. but if 70 pcs sending the same data in p2p format you get it realy realy fast. :shock: :)

if it works its ( i think ) a major breaktruh in internet games ;)
iZOTOPE

Post by iZOTOPE »

well, we will save only what is needed, spawn data, player stats, honor, player position. and i don't think that kind of data will eat so much space and hardware, being exported in encrypted files. <- that is just an idea on making it harder to hack, but there are also much more ideas. :D

or sure we can make it save only on that specific pc (client), and encrypted (if encryption was break and data hacked, we will sure have a backup of that data in some place, and make tests between backup and current saved data, if mismatch found, then renew the stored data from the backup)

well, this is only an idea. but for sure we will make it in such way that it doesn't need an dedicated server. but that is the future :), now we only plan the story, and basics of the game
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

If you have no dedicated server, the key to decrypt a client's information has to be stored on the clients, too. I guess it would be a great safe of time and space to simple store the data in cleartext then... :wink:
sudi

Post by sudi »

hehe good point :D
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
iZOTOPE

Post by iZOTOPE »

well we will see how it will evolve, but we will have our own security methods :)
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Hey Izotope, its interesting how both of our teams came up with the same idea :) Originally we wanted to make a purely p2p game, but it seems we will need atleast 1 computer in the network to start the game. All peers them start to connect the network via this computer. This also makes it a bit easier to administrate and store information.

It would be interesting to see how our final products turn out ^_^
cederron

Post by cederron »

I can't see how this would work ?
So, an user connects to the game, and the other players must send his data ? What about if none of the players have the data?

I think one master server is needed at least.
rogerborg
Admin

Re: The "Solaris" Project

Post by rogerborg »

I have one and only one piece of "help" to give:

Read "So you want to make your own MMORPG".

Read it thoroughly, digest it, and understand that it was written for you - yes, you personally. Every word in it is true, and it applies to you. Yes, even - and especially - with your "state of the art" (i.e. untested) network... code. I think you meant architecture. I'm not sure. I doubt you are.

Ah well. You'll find out soon enough. Best of luck.
Last edited by rogerborg on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.