looking for browser plugin

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Abraxas

looking for browser plugin

Post by Abraxas »

Hello,

I would like to integrate 3d content in website using the irrlicht engine.
(just something like creating a <DIV> - Container in HTML where the 3d content will be displayed.

I think I need to use a browser-plugin. And I have read in this forum one should create a activeX-Control. But I do not know anything creating activeX-Controls. I am definately not the top-Coder, but am living for designing every day. To write this on my own would take months of whole day work, because I would have to learn very much before start writing the code.

Actually I am creating a flash site and first I wanted to integrate a 3d world using the irrlicht engine inside the flash film (in a MovieClip as a window). I know now this will never work. But I think it wouldn't be too much for the online-visitors to install a simple browser-plugin to be able to walk through a virtual landscape, for example.

This is why I ask, if someone here has still written such a plugin/ActiveX-Control and would share it.

Greetings

Oli

I tried to look if something related to my question is in the Wiki.
But I could not reach it. Does anybody know if the wiki has moved to somewhere, and the link on the irrlicht-site may be dead?
( http://www.irrforge.org/ ) doesn't work.
Last edited by Abraxas on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG

Post by KG »

I know that this is a forum about Irrlicht and that you want to use Irrlicht, but doesn't Flash do 3D nowadays? It might not be as nice lookng as Irrlicht, but I think it would be much, much easier and would also be cross-platform.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Hi KG,

Flash cannot display any 3d content at all.
But you are right, there are some examples for 3d-engines for flash now:

- Papervision3D
- Sandy

These are the examples I had a closer look upon, there may be a few more.
But just to say it in short words:
They are never as fast and as "beautiful" as the irrlicht engine is.
They are just too slow. If there only would be a way to "integrate" irrlicht directly into flash..." !

The other way would be to do it in VRML/X3D. I have been working very long with *.wrl - Files, but my worlds will look like "World-of-Warcraft"-levels, and I want it more "beautiful".

It is almost one year ago, I found such a plugin a member of this forum wrote, and it worked fantastic. Really amazing. And it was not the Java-Web-Start, but just a plugin. Unfortunately I cannot remember who created it or how it was called. I cannot find it anymore.

I just found an example which is a bit similar to what I am looking for,
if you like Unreal, you could have a look at this (which is really great on my opinion):

http://www.rasterwerks.com/
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

or using JIR,
Java based Irrlicht,
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

@strong99

yes, I think I must have a look upon JIrr.

Why inventing the wheel twice?

:-)

Oli
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Hello again,

after looking upon Jirr I would rather like to handle my solution with an
own browser-plugin, and using Dx9.

Well, I am not a programmer, but an enthusiastic designer, full of ideas.
When creating something, the engine will probably have to work with around 1/2 a million vertices, at least.

And some of them will be animated, like trees in the wind or grass on the ground. As long as I do not find any browser plugin to let someone walk through a world created with the unreal editor, I do not find any other solution but the irrlicht engine.

Has someone experiences in writing a browser plugin?
If so, please help me a bit. I don't know how to get a browser plugin, so firefox or IE would be able to show 3d content, maybe on a webside.

Greetings

Oli
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Hello again,

please excuse me, this will be the last time I ask something, so there is no need to post bad words to me:

But could somebody help me?
I am looking for a method using the Irrlicht engine to show
3d content in a webside. Does anybody have an example how to do this?
Could somebody explain how to use the JIRR to do this (maybe as an applet running?)

Please could you help me?

Greetings

Abraxas
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

this would be windows only, but you need to static link irrlicht to your application and build it as an activex control, it will need to patch the engine with a new archive type for downloading things from the internet (for example .irr files and resources)
You'll need to package the control so it also works for netscape/mozilla/firefox - http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
The problem is nobody trusts activex controls because they can contain viruses, and I don't know what Linux uses for browser plugins but you'd need to package it in some way for linux/osx too.
Sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth, maybe a 3d engine made in pure java would be a better option.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Acki

Post by Acki »

I did it a while ago for Windows...
You simply have to create a web site containing an element that you can get the hdc from...
Well it's not a plugin, but you can run Irrlicht (without modifications) inside any window (all elements, even buttons are derived from window) !!! ;)

A similar code (for Notepad) I posted here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=17705

Maybe I also have the code for the web site thing, but I'll have to search for it and maybe I deleted it...
But if you don't get it, I'm sure I'll find it somewhere... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Acki,

this would be great.

I found Jirr, and it almost ran, but I had no help how to use the java keytool, and no explanations in german. So I will never get any signed applet to run, I even do not know if I used the java keytool in a correct way. But I don't think this will have any success.

But I am in a need for the website thing. Maybe this will work. It is ok, if the user has to download or install something, before he can use the 3d-content.

Best wishes

Oli