Inheritance, subsumption, and constructing (C++ question)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Thanks stodge, but I didn't understand the "visitor" concept from what I read of it. I think I'd rather stick with using the simple concepts that I could actually successfully deploy at my experience level (for now).
stodge

Post by stodge »

Saturn wrote:Visitor? How is that? Too me the proper pattern looks more like flyweight. But this is of no help to throw pattern names around here. ^^
Why not? I read the thread in passing and tried to point something out. May or may not be relevant but what the hey. *shrug*

I read this:

"Each loop, I'll iterate through the list, calling an update() function."

and this:

"You see, I need a complex hierarchy of classes, and each class that represents a kind of entity that will exist in the world needs an update() function."

And I just thought "Visitor". Unless I've misunderstood something in the his post.

Again, *shrug*.
What does the debugger tell you? You did use the debugger, didn't you?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

That happens when two problems are discussed in parallel. I haven't read the thread from the start. You are right, stodge, about problem 1, my answer stays valid too for problem 2. :)
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Oh yeah, sorry for the lack of clarity. I asked two completely different questions in this thread.