Quality?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
fullforce

Quality?

Post by fullforce »

Is Irrlicht more powerful than Ogre?

Powerful- Render higher quality models, more polys or more added effects with a high fps??
datamagik

Post by datamagik »

Although I have spent a bit of time learning the Irrlicht 3D Engine your question made me curious so I looked at the Ogre site. Downloading the source I found it a bit fragmented for purposes of easy compilation (there seems to be a Windows section and a Linux & Mac section...I opened the XCode project but it didn't build...compile errors are probably solvable but I really just wanted to see the demo for comparison).

Looking in the download section it seems to suggest that one is a Windows(TM) version and the other should be Linux and/or Mac OS, but when I downloaded the one that did not say Windows it was in fact a collection of Windows applications. I copied the apps over to my Windows partition which I have booted up in Win XP in my Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine but it crashes. So. Dunno.

The thing I like about Irrlicht is it is very compact and easy to work with and up to version 1.0 compiles on all three major platforms (Win, Mac, Linux), and 1.2 should soon with some updates to the Mac version (some developers have it working privately but the SVN version has not yet benefited from their work).

Since it is an open source engine you could presumably add any features if you were not satisfied with the present capabilities of a given component. I would urge you to download demos for both engines and do a side by side comparison to see which better suited your needs. :)
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

fullforce, use the magical search function. This topic has been discussed to death and there is not likely coming anything new out of it in yet another thread, let alone something sensible... :roll:
monkeycracks

Re: Quality?

Post by monkeycracks »

fullforce wrote:Is Irrlicht more powerful than Ogre?

Powerful- Render higher quality models, more polys or more added effects with a high fps??
I always thought rendering higher quality models with more polys and such depended on the graphics card, but I could be and probably am wrong.

I prefer Irrlicht because it's easier to work with and if something you want isn't there you can implement it easily or just search the forums and it's probably there.

I don't like Ogre much because it doesn't like my compiler.... That and it just didn't seem as easy to use.