a few screenshots

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Katsankat

a few screenshots

Post by Katsankat »

Hi,

Texture makes it all.

Click to enlarge
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
  • Skybox: made with Terragen
  • Heightmap: png 256x256 pixels made on Linux, 47Ko, scaled approximately (2048,64,2048)
  • Textures: jpg 1000x800 pixels 580Ko, aerial photies from Italy, southern France, Egypt (except snow one).
FPS are more than good with Irrlicht, because assuming this is a mid-end machine, they never go beyond 60 on other games.

Could be many kinds of games ... Too many! Dunno what this will become.
Last edited by Katsankat on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
buhatkj

nice textures!

Post by buhatkj »

both the first and last ones in there are the most impressive, the aerial photos look awesome.
good luck with the project :-)
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Looks really great, inspires me to get some work done on my project.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

yeah definitely motivational and inspirational somehow.

I always knew that textures made a huge difference but this really puts it into perspective how much.

I really didn't realise it could feel like a different world entirely however.

did you do the texture work yourself? some of the best ground textures I've ever seen there I'm amazed how much depth they illustrate.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess the others did not go beyond 60 FPS due to vsync. Enable it in Irrlicht and it will be stuck at 60 FPS as well :D
belfegor

Post by belfegor »

Realy nice.
Fog looks great with your terrain.You are ready for flight simulator. :wink:
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

The new screenshots look great, how are you rendering such large terrains with good FPS like that :P
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

err ... what's so great about those screens :? or is this some kind of weird joke?
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

gfxstyler wrote:err ... what's so great about those screens :? or is this some kind of weird joke?
They look really great, if I had those graphics in my game I'd be pretty happy
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I like the terrains :D Much better than a g**gle earth view :wink: How do you create the heightmap, is there some tool chain?
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

What's so great about them... Not much. Don't take it seriously. It's not a complete game. Just that a 15Km square with decent texture for a flight sim (brillant idea BTW) + code for LOD models + retarded AI + minimal GUI + code for cam placement (gravity+never get out of terrain bounds), runs pretty good with Irrlicht/winXP/OpenGL. All I can say.

Now where does this 15Km value come from I can hear him say.
256X256 heightmap scaled 2048X2048 = 524288 units square.
Assuming a 1m80 tall person is 60 units (see reference perso model), 1 unit = 3cm.
Thus a square side represents 15728*3/100=15728 meters.

Well, after Belfegor suggested flight sim, I thought terrain doesn't need so many polies, and increased terrain scale from 1024 to 2048. Result: it looks the same, but terrain polies budget falled to 2000/4000, allowing to increase FarValue and FogEnd, while gaining FPS at higher screen resolution. Incredible. This information is probably constructive for people who read us. Kudos to Irrlicht LOD for terrain. Not to mention flat areas will drastically reduce polies budget for terrain.
All what is spared here will allow high-detail models, slicky effects, and keep some left for network layer.

At the moment there is only one heightmap. This is main problem. At some point HDD space will say "no" and heightmap will have to be generated procedurally according to some rules (flat, steppe, ... ) while keeping real heightmaps for particular areas, linked together with large procedural portions.
But for textures, I'm working on a tool to calculate Longitude/Latitude and obtain texture, to make a grid of naturally real blended textures.

Make a networking game entirely as a crew member in a B17, that would be nice ;)
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

Great Landscape.

I think this is one of the best terrain screenshots i saw until now from irrlicht.
Impressive.
-------------------------------------------------------
iZigoo - The open 3D internet

iZigoo Homepage
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

gfxstyler wrote:err ... what's so great about those screens :? or is this some kind of weird joke?
any proof of concept for irrlicht is like landing on the moon.

you don't impress me does that mean you are a sick joke too?