IrrEdit and friends - Big Waste of Niko's and friends' time

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

As said before I think that Irrlicht is able to cope with one-platform only features. So give it a try and post your add-ons. Most of them will be available on other platforms, too, and someone might be able to implement it as soon as the idea is there.
Which os-dependant tools do you mean? gcc against Microsoft compiler? BTW: Comparing platform-dependant tools based on comparisons of MS against the rest might give wrong numbers. But you might try the other way round: Compare the numbers of people using the non-native systems on the other platform, i.e. gcc users under Windows and msvc under Linux :wink: This would even work with Office suites.
Moreover I'd say that any good render engine must have support for other systems nowadays. Even if you target only game development the support for consoles often requires high portability which can be easily proved by porting to Linux and OSX. And if you are not into game development (like me, doing scientific projects with 3d simulations) it is a major requirement to support Linux or Unix systems.
WhiskeyJim

Post by WhiskeyJim »

To OP: I think we should be happy for this great open source engine, and let him continue and work on anything he wants to.
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

I don't use Linux or Mac as I said earlier in the topic. But if you can make a game cross-platform, why not. It can't cost that much more by the time you are through because the expensive stuff usually are the assets, not the code. Sure, I agree that the user-base for non M$ systems is a lot less, but I don't look at it like that. By going cross platform, you aren't REPLACING the windows sales with linux sales, rather adding them. So the argument about losing money is not logical at all to me. In the end, you still make more money by going multi-platform. That is why the above mentioned commercial complanies do so. Sure it is only about 2-10% of their sales(not a statistic, rather a guess), but if they make $100 on a game today, and 10% is from Linux users, than if they chose not to go multi-platform, then they only made 90. I know in reality, the numbers don't match, and some Linux users have Windows and would buy the windows version instead, so maybe that $90 would be $95 instead, but still it is a loss of money never earned.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Just to point out, IRRspintz works with OpenGL and DirectX9, just doesn't support Linux anymore( cause I can't get 3D working properly in Linux on any of my machines to properly support it ).
Last edited by Spintz on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

Haha, Doom sucked? Ah?
What have YOU done?
And UT sucks too? HAHAHA. You noob.
Ehhh only played ut a little bit, not enough to judge that, i bought doom3 tho, and i knew it was only going to be a graphics show, and thats all it was, the fancy graphics kept my attention only for a couple hours, and then i havent touched it since, not saying anything about the graphics, but the game itself has nothing else to it. as for this whole debate, its all about balance, if you design your engine very abstracted from the 3d api right from the beginning of the development, it is very easy to adjust it to different platforms, that might make it worth that little added poplulation but if you have to make a rewrite for half of it for 5% of the population it is not really worth it.

Post by SiriusCG »

You punk get your hands off Linux!!!
Dude, I was using LINUX when only SLACKWARE was available... (that's the 0.99 kernal over 10 years ago just so you're aware) I think that gives me a bit of experience... so back off...
Linux is supported by ID Software, Epic Games and some others.
Minimally... and nothing like the support it has on the PC...

So think twice before telling bullshit here
and while you're at it, take a course in posting etiquettte... :roll: