iZigoo - Open 3D Internet project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
iZigoo

iZigoo - Open 3D Internet project

Post by iZigoo »

iZigoo - Open 3D Internet

Hello,

we are building a 3D Internet world based on the irrlicht engine. It will be a little bit like Second Life but with much more freedom for developers and users.
In the project we will include some of the fascinating side projects of irrlicht.

All of our sources will be released under a zlib like license.
The same license irrlicht is based on.
This is a long time project and we plan to release the first version in the end 2007.

More informations check our blog at izigoo.blogspot.com

iZigoo

Here is a screenshot - thanks to mind-ds

Last edited by iZigoo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------
iZigoo - The open 3D internet

iZigoo Homepage
pixeljunky

Post by pixeljunky »

Hey,

the project looks really nice !
When is it possible to get an alpha version or when is
it possible to get an island ?

:D
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

zlib? but you use raknet...
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

I'd use IrrNet :P

Otherwise, project looks great. Can't wait 'till it's playable.
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

iZigoo should be as free as possible.
We try to use only sources and tools which are licensed under the zlib license.
Raknet is not free and we are looking to get a better open source lib.We are still building the concept for iZigoo so the network is not yet implemented. Now maybe we use irrnet.

We have to try it first! Thanx for the advice.

iZigoo

iZigoo Homepage
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I'm confused is this suppose to be a game like second life?

or a virtual world to represent the internet?

you won't be able to do the second. unless you want to spend your life modeling and infringing on copy rights.

might I suggest you stop calling it 3d internet?

seems very very very wrong to me.

there have been many systems attempted and only second life has succeeded in this type of development and I'm not sure you realise it but some of the people that build SL used to work for NASA.

good luck you're definatly gonna need it.

can I ask how you intend to pay for the massive amount of bandwidth required to stream live ever changing worlds to hundreds of thousands of people simultaniously?

I hate to burst your bubble but unless you're paul allens kid THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE. maybe small scale...really small scale like 64 players per server each with 100mb lines... it is possible to link several servers together but not all of them... not without horrible graphics..

and forgive me if I laugh but this will never compare to second life.

not for free anyways. this type of game is outside the grasp of free developers because of the bandwidth requirements.

may I ask how old you are?

also don't kid yourself nobody will ever use this to conduct business meetings... in fact I've never even heard of actually video conferencing.. oh I'm sure it's used by many but never took flight like the original net meeting developers expected.

it's ok to dream but you still have to keep it within the boundries of reality bud. good luck I only pray you prove me wrong. but its not going to happen sorry. 8)
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Midnight, I'm not going to personally flame you like you just did to him. But just cause I sorta like ya.

He's calling it AN open 3d internet project.

Doesn't mean it represents the internet, just means it's over the internet and 3d.
fact I've never even heard of actually video conferencing.. oh I'm sure it's used by many but never took flight like the original net meeting developers expected
It's used a lot more than you'd think :P
My mom uses it for work a lot, and that in-turn means other people use it alot because she doesn't sit in there chatting to herself.

It's very possible to have this 'customisable' world. A lot of MUD's do it, though they are only text-based the point is similar. You start out witha codebase and build your world from nothing-up. It's not that difficult, I've even almost finished a MUD codebase of my own but I'm more into 3d programming now.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

monkeycracks wrote:Midnight, I'm not going to personally flame you like you just did to him. But just cause I sorta like ya.
He didn't personally flame him!

If you post a project announcement like this you have to expect questions and criticism (not flaming!). :)

After all, what would a forum be usefull for if everybody would just say "whooooaaaaa, great Screenshot..." :wink:
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

We plan this project already a long time and the server load will be not too hard. We offer an open solution for the 3D internet and we are
people who have already over 15 years experience in business and IT.

Our world will be like Second Life but as an open solution. The
iZigoo concept is focused on easy use and speed.
For big companys we develope tools to put their informations in this world. Like CMS. Thats a part how we finance the servers and crew,
Its the same concept that many open source projects have.

iZigoo

iZigoo Homepage
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

midnight,

we welcome people who have advices for our project, but please keep your posts more tech orientated and not personal.

iZigoo

iZigoo Homepage
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Well, the usual warning applies. Focussing on the presentation and the client is a great way to ensure that you forget to design a network architecture and server solution that can scale up.

That you're already producing visual demos is a warning sign that you may be going down the wrong track.

Forget the presentation, design and implement the back end first, then the content production tools.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Brillant. Keep up the good work.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

rogerborg wrote:Well, the usual warning applies. Focussing on the presentation and the client is a great way to ensure that you forget to design a network architecture and server solution that can scale up.

That you're already producing visual demos is a warning sign that you may be going down the wrong track.

Forget the presentation, design and implement the back end first, then the content production tools.
Otherwise you'll have to recode your project over a few times.
I've had experience in that field :lol:
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

hello,

looks like some people here have much experience in network architecture.
What kind of network do you use for your projects ?
Maybe we get some new ideas ....
Are the projects also Online Worlds (Games) ?
We are planning to have a mixed strategy of common html servers,
realtime motion servers and precached (dvd - blueray disk) textures (models) to reduce network load. I cannot go into the details ... hehe the spys are watching.

izigoo
Last edited by iZigoo on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iZigoo Homepage
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

I post some more infos soon...
Last edited by iZigoo on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iZigoo Homepage