Feature requests for Irrlicht 0.7

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I think the examples are fine, they do exactly what they are supposed to do. By looking at them you can see how a lot of functions are called and since the documentation is very good it pretty easy to get what you need. Anything other than that is just writing the game for you I feel.
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

2 things im missing:

-the ability to save a screenshot(or part of a screenshot) to a file
-using transparancy on a 3d texture(make one color transparant)
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

I want only one thing:
make the pics rendering more accurate without loss of it's quailty.
No matter what I do I get ugly pics when loading with irrlicht.

Thanks
Phonica

Post by Phonica »

Tutorials, Samples & Documentation!
AMD Athlon XP 1900 (1600mhz), 512MB Ram 55GB HDD, Mandrake Linux 9.1, Windows 2000, NVidia GeForce 2 Ti 64MB.

OpenGL ATW!
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Phonica...

There already is Tutorials, Samples & Documentation!
Crud, how do I do this again?
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I agree with saigumi. Also there tutorials which are there are through and do a good explanation of using the engine. The doucmentation is some of the best I have seen for open source projects and the engine is great.

I would like to see a tutorial on creating a custom scene animator or two. And maybe some special effects tutorials.
soconne

Post by soconne »

I would like to see compatibility with Borland C++ Builder :(
That way we could make some really good level editors and such and have nice windows gui apps.
exal

Post by exal »

of course we can't do that in Visual studio :)
bappy

Post by bappy »

we can do that , irrlicht is working we mfc..
-----------------------------
Sans danger, pas de gloire...
http;//bappy.free.fr
-----------------------------
exal

Post by exal »

I was of course only kidding.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Sarcasm is often lost in message boards ;)

Post by Guest »

yeah but mfc sucks b@lls compared to visual basic or borland c++ builder.
Vinetu

Post by Vinetu »

Will be very nice if in 0.7 version Irrlicht Engine support more formats :D ;)
"Teach yourself DISCIPLINE."

Your sincerely,
Saulius Šunauskas
buhatkj

effects

Post by buhatkj »

well since effects (particle effects anyway) are scenenodes, you can attach them to meshes with addchild. now its true we dont have shaders and they would be cool, but i think when they get added it would maek more sense to stick to the scenenode type interface.

another thing that would be cool is to come up with some way to define custom events,similar to how we can define custom scenenodes. this would be good for making sound or network events. thats definitely something i could use.

also since we have an integrated XML reader, why not some sort of integrated scripting language (LUA, simkin, angelsciript, python, perl, javascript, ruby, whatever...) probably any scripting language would be good as long as it interfaced well with irrlicht.

another cool feature would be to come up with some sort of standard XML scene format for irrlicht. yes, we do have pretty good BSP support, but bsp is no good for outdoor scenes, i think it would be good to have an XML scene format that ties together a mesh format(x or 3ds ideally for mesh levels), the terrain scenenode(another way to make a level), and has an object heirarchy for things like static/animated submeshes, map triggers, portals, spawnpoints, etc... really this would be a container class which just "holds" a bunch of things which we already have, but having a standard format for the XML file would allow us to create an irrlicht map editor that everybody could use :-)
i have been developing such a beast for my use in fmorg, with the intent to make and editor for said xml format also, but am nowhere near finished yet. triggers and portals dont work and the terrain node is buggy. all the same i think given some time ill get it together and maybe it can become a TPIM.

lastly, and i know im prolly preaching to the chorus, but multitexturing would be cool.
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
schick

Post by schick »

- shaders would complete the quake3 bsp loading (but in fact, i think its already on nikos list)
- the logger should be able to log into a specific file (is it already possible?)

hmm :-), in fact thats all what i need at the moment
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.