Compilation error on MSVC++ 2005

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
khayyam

Compilation error on MSVC++ 2005

Post by khayyam »

Hi all,

On compiling code using irrKlang on MSVC++ 2005, I get the errors :

Code: Select all

irrKlang.h(137) : error C3861: 'visibility': identifier not found
irrKlang.h(137) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
irrKlang.h(137) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'ISoundEngine'
irrKlang.h(137) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
irrKlang.h(137) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
irrKlang.h(140) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
And on commenting #define IRRKLANG_API __attribute__((visibility("default"))) on line 112 in irrKlang.h and deleting IRRKLANG_API on line 137, the compilation succeeds.

Bug ?

And it works well on mingw without changing anything :)
blackhole12

Post by blackhole12 »

I ran into this problem myself and landed on this post whilst trying to fix it. I tried compiling the irrklang examples and noted that they did not have a problem compiling. Thats when i remebered that my release and debug modes had different preprocessor definitions - my Debug build was strictly a CONSOLE build, and my release mode was a win32 build (no console window). I switched to release mode and, voila! it compiled fine. I added in WIN32; to my debug preprocessors and it compiled.

Apparently, you MUST have WIN32 declared in your preprocessor definitions. Why? Good question! But thats why its not compiling :D

NOTE: The subsystem you are using (windows or console) does not matter. The only thing that you need is to have WIN32 in your preprocessor definitions.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Interesting, thanks for posting the solution here. I'm going to fix this in the next version of irrKlang.