Irrlicht For D

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Raedwulf

Irrlicht For D

Post by Raedwulf »

I'm planning to start a port Irrlicht into D.
Anyone interested?
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Why?
Luben

Post by Luben »

Spintz wrote:Why?
Why do you make irrspintz? probably because you want to! :wink:

myself, if anything except c++ then lua, 'cause those are the languages i like =)
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Just was curious, I've not heard anything good about D so far. So, more curious why using D, not really about why porting Irrlicht to it.
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

It is a very 'nicely constructed' language. Well for programmers like me who've not used C++ extensively, D looks like a very nice alternative and a much better alternative than C# (Though I can see why C++ programmers would think its a waste of time)
Rewriting Irrlicht into D would be more of a personal learning exercise for me in both understanding more OGL and understanding both D/C++.

Another point would be it would make Irrlicht available for D...

Cheers! :D
macdonag

Post by macdonag »

Not sure about rewriting - that would seem a bit pointless (why not make a new library entirely in that case).

The more useful solution (IMHO) would be to write a C-based library wrapper for Irrlicht. This could be easily used by D (D can easily interface with C, but not C++).

This library would be a bit fiddly to maintain, but would be much more straightforward than rewriting Irrlicht in D.
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

Probably too much work for the time I have... still toying with the idea though.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Well, a learning exercise would be cool, I might be into it, who knows, maybe if I spend more time with D, I might like it. Let me/us know how you decide to proceed with this.
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

First of all, im organising all the C-libraries and translating the C-headers to D, so I can use jpeglib, libpng, etc.
zenaku

Post by zenaku »

You might want to see which bindings are already available:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings

The OpenGL binding in particular would help when doing the graphics driver. No need to rewrite OpenGL in D too :) You probably can find a binding for png and zlib somewhere.
-------------------------------------
IrrLua - a Lua binding for Irrlicht
http://irrlua.sourceforge.net/