Free games using irrlicht?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
soul_rebel

Free games using irrlicht?

Post by soul_rebel »

i looked through the screenshots section and found only non-free games....

are there any free (as in freedom) games using irrlicht?

if yes, where can i find them, why are they not promoted seperately and why do you promote the non-free games at all?

thanks and greetings
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You are right, while there are many free (as in beer) games looking through this forum there are not many open source community developed games. Im sure the ones for the space invaders contest are going to be though, so look forward to the closing of that :D
Nodtveidt

Re: Free games using irrlicht?

Post by Nodtveidt »

soul_rebel wrote:why do you promote the non-free games at all?
This is a rather silly question...ALL games made with Irrlicht should be promoted! But a library gets WAY more visibility with commercial or non-free applications than freebie applications.
We all live in a yellow subroutine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

I'd make the game I'm making open-source, but the code is scary to look at. You've heard of spaghetti code? Well my code is a pasta salad. :D
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Anteater wrote:I'd make the game I'm making open-source, but the code is scary to look at. You've heard of spaghetti code? Well my code is a pasta salad. :D
which is exactly why you should make it open source..so it can be modded and improved and be transformed into what it should be and you learn the proper way like that.

when guice was discussed I thought many inescapable things were wrong and things I never noticed were not at all right.

I now know how to make it better then before and it has spawned a wave of gui editor devolopment that never would have happened without making my complete noob code open source..

let me ask you this... what are you afraid that I will laugh?

even if I did AND I posted "hahahaha" does anyone give a shhhh.
Soy1Bonus

Post by Soy1Bonus »

soul_rebel

Post by soul_rebel »

This is a rather silly question...ALL games made with Irrlicht should be promoted! But a library gets WAY more visibility with commercial or non-free applications than freebie applications.
do you think so?
maybe some developers know, but the users? at least when i checked most of the project pages did not say "based on the free irrlicht engine available on sourceforge..."

on the other hand most free projects would give credit...

@anteater: dont worry about code quality! everybody starts out small, and it is not really important how nice the code looks only that its open!

its not only, that i dont use non-free (as in freedom) software for ethical reasons, also that since most non-free software doesnt exist precompiled for freebsd, i couldnt even use it if i wanted to.
and thats a shame since most works based on this engine would run on freebsd or could at least be ported quickly....

p.s.: if you had chosen gpl as license, maybe 15% less games would use irrlicht, but the other 85% would be free ;)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

You support the GPL over zlib license in one sentence, yet say you use FreeBSD in another. Sounds like your open source philosophy is confused, so I won't try and argue with you.

The reason why commercial games get more coverage is because they are usually more serious projects, the kind of things that all our small free projects aspire to be. Maybe free projects give more back to the engine in code, but the commercial projects bring more by means of reputation and expertise.

Also, since this topic isn't actually a project announcement I'm moving it to 'open discussion' where it belongs.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
KrazyKain

Post by KrazyKain »

Soy1Bonus wrote:My little baby:

http://stuntchallenge.sf.net
ah, impressive :) more cars would obviously make the game better but its nice to see a full playable game with the irrlicht engine. I've been trying to find a game to show what the engine can do and all i could ever find is techdemos.

either way, nice job, i like this game :)
virtual x

Post by virtual x »

ah yeh, I agree with Midnight, if your just learning C++ or any language really, you should really share the source and try and learn from other peoples experience - which will ultimately make you a better coder! I've at times felt dubious about showing code to anyone as I am afraid to be ridiculed for only knowing basic C++ coding lol, at the end of the day someone may laugh, but will probably forget it and not give a shhhhht later on - most people have better things to do lol
acleek

So how do you apply the license in a closed source game?

Post by acleek »

I'm all for free (as in freedom) software, but in the creation of an online game, what keeps someone from obtaining the source for the whole game, exploiting EXP rolls or weapon damage and ruining the spirit of the game? I understand that open source software should be available to the community to do good, as in compile for different OS's, but at what point does it make the original work in vain? If someone spends 2 years writing an open source online FPS and someone either comes along, changes the name and adds a new feature and dominates the market with that game, where does that leave the original coder? Pissed off and going closed source. My issue is, how do you protect the work done, but still support the community?
dejai

Post by dejai »

Ok He means Open Source Like Linux.. Games that can be downloaded for free and modded at will and improved and released back into the community another good example is wiki. The problem is with games a mod can totally unbalance the game flow. A urber gun for noobz killzar.... So its sort of hard to make it fully open source but ya i have no idea why there are not many free games people are greedy and proud of there code I suppose but I think free games get you more credit.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com