Irrlicht 1.3 - Different topic :P

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

What do you use?

58%
1.2 because I've had no time to upgrade.
12%
1.2 because I'm scared of all the changes and bugs people are talking about.
9%
1.2 has all I need anyway.
No votes
Something else, I made massive modifications and cant get back on the track.
9%
Something else, im weird :P
12%

Total votes: 33

BlindSide
Admin

Irrlicht 1.3 - Different topic :P

Post by BlindSide »

How many of you are actually using 1.3?, how many are still using 1.2 (And for what reason.) ? And how many random ppl using something else?

I feel 1.3 has caused a ripple in the Irrlicht-update continuum and serious measures need to be taken to get people updating again!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Once again: What are the specific problems? As said in the other thread all updating just requires simple rewriting of some statements, mostly renaming. You won't probably need one more line of code in your project. But we can't brain scan all Irrlicht users out there to know where the problems are. You have to talk to use and the whole community.
stodge

Post by stodge »

You need another option:

Nothing, I'm too busy creating polls on the forums

:lol:
What does the debugger tell you? You did use the debugger, didn't you?
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

too bad there wasnt pool option "1.3, im weird :P" :lol: I use 1.3 myself. Optimizations were made to engine, as changelog says it should run better. I dont care if there are some new bugs because im not involved in actual development of something, i am just sniffing around and learning. knowing that i use 1.3 makes me think that im modern :lol: later if i will decide to get into some sereous work ill use svn version :)
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

I voted the last one(something else-I'm weird). I use 1.3, but with a couple of modifications, but nothing heavy that I can't easily upgrade. The only code change I make is that I add a method to turn off and on the particle emitters, so I don't have to mess with deleting/deattaching and reattaching to temporarily turn them off. Also, I compile without the software drivers and DX 8 so only OpenGL and DX9 remain for development. If I were to release(commercially or otherwise), I would compile with only OpenGL or DX9, depending on which was better for performance in the particular product. I haven't had any real issues with upgrading to 1.3, so I don't know what all the complaining is about. I usually don't depend on internals of the engine anyway for that very reason. API changes happen rarely, but internal changes can happen often.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

hybrid wrote:Once again: What are the specific problems? As said in the other thread all updating just requires simple rewriting of some statements, mostly renaming. You won't probably need one more line of code in your project. But we can't brain scan all Irrlicht users out there to know where the problems are. You have to talk to use and the whole community.
There might be no problem with 1.3. Thats not the point here. Im gauging to see who is actually upgrading, and why alot of people are choosing to stick with 1.2 this round, because personally, im just as confused as you are about this matter.

Nothing, I'm too busy creating polls on the forums
Rofl
he only code change I make is that I add a method to turn off and on the particle emitters, so I don't have to mess with deleting/deattaching and reattaching to temporarily turn them off. Also, I compile without the software drivers and DX 8 so only OpenGL and DX9 remain for development.
Isnt the ZLib license great? :D
sRc

Post by sRc »

aww no "always the latest SVN" option
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Oh crap forgot to add that... I might jump on that bandwagon sometime :)
liger13

Post by liger13 »

1.3, cause i like all the GUi changes :)
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

BlindSide wrote: Isnt the ZLib license great? :D
Oh yeah. I love it. I'd say it is the best deal for us poorer developers with no money. Some issues aside, Blender with Irrlicht is the best way to go.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

blender would be great if his vertex system would be simple. simply by clicking ctrl+lmb i creat vertex, i creat another one, third one and those three are linket with a wire, i select all vertices, press f, select face and nothing happens. is face creation so hard to unuderstand or only faces can be made from added meshes?

P.S. i think it wasnt good place to ask help but if we already are talking about blender... i dont want to make new topic :)
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

That is how it should be done. Selecting 3 or 4 verts and hitting f. You have to remember that the face normal is created according to the order you select the verts so maybe the face is being created, but backwards so you can't see it. If not, then maybe something has changed. I like to model with subdivision surfaces. It works like one of the smooth modifiers in Max(MeshSmooth, TurboSmooth, not sure which one) and it does organic curves easily. It isn't good for flat mechanical objects though.
dwmitch

Post by dwmitch »

I'm still using 1.1. I'll be going up to 1.2 (which is on a CD my brother gave me around Christmas) when I can figure out what needs to be changed to get D3D to work on cards that don't support 24 bit textures. Been searching the forums for fixes,

Tried upgrading to 1.3. The full download is too big for me and even though monkecracks stripped it down to the bare essentials I've never been able to get it to download properly. The first attempt the entire zip folder was corrupt and on the last two attempts the dll I needed was corrupt.

I'll be up to whatever version is out by then when I get my next job, though. After that I'll be able to get DSL.
Those who call the faithful 'sheep' do not realize that they themselves are sheep. We follow one shepherd, they follow another.
steveth45

Post by steveth45 »

I use 1.3 because of the great B3D support: animations with weighted vertices look a heck of a lot better than without.
+--------+
steveth45
+--------+
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

oh, it's already there! Lol, like 10 posts I recently did without knowing...lol.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com