Bug with Octrees since I installed Vista

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
Neirda

Bug with Octrees since I installed Vista

Post by Neirda »

Since I installed Vista, the Octrees are not displayed correctly : pieces of mesh disappear when I move the camera. I can't say if it is especially Vista-linked, but as far as I know it only happens with this OS.
The SDK "Collision" example as well as any loaded Octree in Irredit are like this.
If I am not clear with the description, let me know and I will post a screenshot.
Klasker

Post by Klasker »

It sounds similar to what I saw in the terrain scene node when I was running Vista. Random triangles were simply skipped and not drawed. Strangely though, it worked fine when I switched to OpenGL -- but my FPS dropped a fair bit due to Vista's hostile attitude to OpenGL. Can you try rendering it with OpenGL and see if it renders correctly?

I switched to Linux shortly after so I never got to bottom of it.
Neirda

Post by Neirda »

Yeah that was it exactly !

I runned the "Terrain rendering" (By the way I talk about this example in my first post, instead of "collision", sorry my mistake) about with OpenGL as you said, and just like you I have a major FPS decrease.
Raedwulf

Post by Raedwulf »

There is less FPS decrease with OpenGL if you install your vendor's drivers i.e. go to the nVidia/ATI website to get latest Vista drivers.

It will still be less than that of Windows XP, but could actually be faster than DX.
Neirda

Post by Neirda »

Yeah, I would LOVE to update my drivers !
The point is : Nvidia's latest Vista drivers are not available yet for laptop graphics cards :cry:
Klasker

Post by Klasker »

Neirda wrote:Yeah, I would LOVE to update my drivers !
The point is : Nvidia's latest Vista drivers are not available yet for laptop graphics cards :cry:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com - This is THE site for getting NVIDIA drivers for your laptop! I used all the time when I was using Windows, and the drivers worked flawlessly. Just copy the modified INF file to the driver's setup folder. For Vista drivers look in the forum for the 100s series and get the latest driver. Sorry for drifting off-topic btw :wink:
Neirda

Post by Neirda »

Personnaly, >>> I <<< excuse you for drifting-off :D
Thousand thanks !