GUI editor ?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
LwSiX

GUI editor ?

Post by LwSiX »

OK, so ive seen this in the wiki but yet this header does not exist in the 1.3 SDK and makes absolutely no mention of a third party kit. So what gives?
LwSiX

Post by LwSiX »

Thanks.
LwSiX

Post by LwSiX »

Sorry, i didn't know this would stump the entire forum. :roll:
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You should use your time to figure it out yourself instead of keeping posting bounces without any useful information. You should remember that a) this is not a commercial hotline and b) there are different timezones (for me you asked between midnight and 6am, not really times when I am very eloquent). So don't anny the people that might help you and probably wait for bitplane visiting the forums. Since he wrote the stuff he'll presumably know.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

The GUI editor can be found in the tools dir in the Irrlicht 1.3 release, there is also a binary included in bin/win32-VisualStudio. It is not yet complete, but it serves as a working example of how to create GUI factories and custom elements.
It is able to edit, load and save most elements, but there's no file save dialog, menu editor or sprite tool included yet. Keep your eye on SVN over the next few weeks for those :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
LwSiX

Post by LwSiX »

Thanks for your helpful response bitplane, much appreciated!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

LwSiX wrote:Sorry, i didn't know this would stump the entire forum. :roll:
yeah for real I just woke up.. did someone say gui editor?

the gui editor is brand new since 1.3 and it's only halfway working yet.

besides the missing sprite editor, menu editor, and file dialog.. you'll also be seeing some more advanced functions.

the thing you saw in the wiki is how to easily add the editor into an existing project so you gui can be edited directly through your application.

I'm not sure if that actually works or what the bugs are yet. but I am doing my best to help bitplane bug test and move through the typical irrlicht gui editor hang ups.

also I'm working to help improve the gui itself.. while bitplane is charged with the task of rewriting it I'm trying to help bug fix and create new elements that may end up in irrlicht. or they may just be extensions available on my website.

like hybrid said if you expect a responce on these forums you'll have to be patient nobody is getting paid for this and nobody is going to do something that annoys them. not to mention some of us have full time jobs and only get a chance to visit once or twice a day.

we also have to deal with 50 or so other posts and that might just be one catagory.
LwSiX

Post by LwSiX »

That comment was a more of an attempt of some light hearted humor on my part, i honestly wasn't trying to be a prick here.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

yeah it was kinda funny but it was offset by the fact that it was the third post. nobody called you a prick. so it's all good dude. 8)

I didn't mean to sound patronising I just wanted to tip ya off.
LwSiX

Post by LwSiX »

Yeah thats understandable man.

By the way, i was able to find the actual editor in the bin/ directory (thanks bitplane) and was able to throw a GUI together and save it as an XML file, cool stuff! Sure beats sitting there flipping around with coordinates. Can't wait to see the final solution.