IDE

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
Aroidan

IDE

Post by Aroidan »

Does anyone know of a good free IDE to use for C# development that is compatable with IrrLicht. I was using Sharp Develop but it seems to have issues with IrrLicht.
JDHunter

Post by JDHunter »

hä? :shock:
What?

a Free IDE with it is Compatible with irrLicht? :shock:
are my translation to bad... is your question seriously meant?!

a other free IDE for Develop with C# is Visual Studio C# Express Edition
Found here

With all this two ide there are no problems to use irrLicht... :P
SharpDevelop is perfect for develop... but with any little bugs.... :roll:
Aroidan

Post by Aroidan »

I am not sure where the issue is with Sharp Develop. I am assuming that it is some sort of a linking issue with the compiler that is causing the issue. It could also be that Sharp Develop was meant only to work with .Net 1.1 and when linking in a .Net 2.0 library it has issues. I am not sure what the case is.

I tried the C# Express Edition but couldn't find where to add the reference to the irrlicht.net dll. There was no way for me to browse to a third party library. However I didn't spend a lot of time looking. I believe that the licensing on the Express Edition was not favorable for what we need to do.

That is why I was asking to see what other people use to develop in.
JDHunter

Post by JDHunter »

I don't understand your really problem...
You have the problem that you can't use irrlicht in SharpDevelop or .net Express? but what is correct the problem?

Can you run any Example from irrlicht(exe)?
Can you run any Source-Examples from irrlicht?
What did you use vb or c#?

Is in the following folders the irrlicht.dll and the irlicht.net.dll?
bin\release | bin\debug

can you run this? here (it is irrlicht1.3,example2 / sharpDevelop, also can use in visual studio)
Aroidan

Post by Aroidan »

I can run the already compiled examples just fine. I also have copied over the irrlicht.net and irrlicht dll's to the debug folder (haven't built a release version). The example compiles fine but when trying to execute I get a runtime error that it can not find the DLL.

Given the fact that the DLL was referenced (otherwise there would be a compile error) and is located in the same dir as the exe it appears that there is an issue with the way the compiler references the DLL at compile time. I can get the exact same code to work using Visual Studio, however for this perticular project I can't use Visual Studio do to licensing constraints.
bigfish

Post by bigfish »

Are you launching the exe from the IDE or opening it yourself? If you're using the IDE, maybe you should double check what it's using as the current directory and make sure the DLL is in fact in that directory. Or just stick it in the Windows system directory or something.
Aroidan

Post by Aroidan »

I have done both. Still get the same thing.
Delight

Post by Delight »

Visual Studio Express versions are free to use, even in commercial applications...
Silbermünze

Post by Silbermünze »

VS Express is only limited in the way, that it only generates debug binaries.
You can overcome this with SharDevelop. Create your project in VS Express finishit, and compile again in SharpDevelop for release binaries.
That's how I am doing it. Well currently I am still in tools development, so I didn't do actual Irrlicht compilation with SharpDevelop, but I am quite sure it should work, as I see now reason why it won't.

Thoran