New Animation System for Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

the prob is keeping up the good work, and releasing as soon as possible, is not usually able to do... ;)

Imho he's devoting a lot of time already on this free project...

though I understand your position.I guess you are needing melt of animations...you can have your artist do those melts, is a tad of work, but if you are so time pressed...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

(or you are maybe needing other advanced stuff...)
sudi

Post by sudi »

it's the melting....
for example we got so many movement types and so many action poses that making everything by hand would result in a file that is so big......no good idea
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I am just trying to get a hold of what this project can actually do. So are you saying when you finish this you will be able to have models with bones and you can control those bones from within the program. Like say I could write the code in c++ to have one of my meshes walk across the screen?? Also can this be used for face animation. Like moving mouths and things.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

face animation is one of the most difficult parts of animation. i saw how famous companies make these. actor talks with special spots on face, cam records it and moves mesh just as those spots move. its definetly not c++ code moving your characters jaw
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

But virtually couldn't you do that then. Like stick bones that move up and down where those spots are and then take video and hand edit the bone animation to match how the person talks or something?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Some more papers showing the concept of facial animation.
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/realface

This is how Valve made theirs...
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... y_creation

Err... not sure what's this though but it's related to facial animation...
http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/manimate_main.htm

Image Image
hope this helps.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

I am just trying to get a hold of what this project can actually do. So are you saying when you finish this you will be able to have models with bones and you can control those bones from within the program. Like say I could write the code in c++ to have one of my meshes walk across the screen?? Also can this be used for face animation. Like moving mouths and things.
Yes, you will be able to control, the bones. And yes you could do facial animation the same way. Just moving the character’s jaw would be fairly easy. But whole facial animation would need some pretty complex code, working out where the bones should go, but yes it’s possible to do.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

projectmessiah is such a top rated animation tool...yet though, you can achieve bone based facial animation with Blender.(Ive done a bit) Of course, you mean to control that even by code...You(the artist) can allways do and export a collection of typical expressions, like you do have your run, walk anims...only thing needed then would be the already mentioning animation melting(maybe am talking bout that melting allowing 2 anims running at once, melted...)...so you could do a big collection of things...

imho , though, sounds like better is have the base of the system, then go adding whatever is wished...
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Ok I got that. So then how would I control animations with irrlicht. Say I have an AI. I want to run a stand still and look around animation, but then he gets shot at so he runs away in a strategical way. Like how would I get that to happen because the tutorials only showed the girl running constantly with no other animations.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

You have to code the AI yourself... or you get an AI sdk.
Frodenius

Post by Frodenius »

i think its the animation hes worrying about ;)
well your ai has certainly some sort of fsm, so each state would have its own animation, which is activated on the entry in that state.
worst programming style ever seen...
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

A couple of layers (at least) would be helpful for blending between animations running simultaneously. I guess this is what people mean by "melting" (a term I've never heard of in this context).

You could make animations for the lower part of body (idle/stand/walk/run/etc.) and run them at the same time as upper body animations. You could then have upper body motions, such as "reload", which can then be used no matter what the lower body is doing (and vice versa).

Same concept applies to facial animation (phonemes and facial expressions).

Perhaps there should be three blending layers for LOWER, UPPER and HEAD/FACIAL.

Just some thoughts...
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

You could make animations for the lower part of body (idle/stand/walk/run/etc.) and run them at the same time as upper body animations. You could then have upper body motions, such as "reload", which can then be used no matter what the lower body is doing (and vice versa).

Same concept applies to facial animation (phonemes and facial expressions).

Perhaps there should be three blending layers for LOWER, UPPER and HEAD/FACIAL.
I’ll also assume that melting means blending.

Yeah, I was planning on doing this for the beginning, but I’m not going to restrict people to just 3 blending layers.