Usage of Normals in Irrlicht

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Silbermünze

Usage of Normals in Irrlicht

Post by Silbermünze »

Hello everyone!

Currently I amtrying to figure out how Irrlicht makes use of normals, meaning how they are stored for example for a mesh. Ideally I do want to implement a small function that visualizes the normals of a given mesh, so I can quickly evaluate whether the normals have been exported and loaded to Irrlicht correctly, or whether they are existent at all.

For that reason I looked at the IMeshBuffer which seems to hold all the vertices data as well indices data. However I was not able to locate whether there is an array that stores the normals for a mesh (if Irrlicht does at all).
So any hint to point me into a direction where to find the normals' data of a mesh would be great.

Secondly, in that context I would like to know if Irrlicht uses such normals, how they are applied to a mesh? On face-basis or on vertex-basis?

Thanks in advance
Silbermünze
Luben

Post by Luben »

The normals are stored in each verticle, and are applied per vertex.
Check S3DVertex.h
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Try node->setDebugDataVisible(EDS_NORMALS);, I know it works for animated meshes.