How do I Bake animations in blender

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
xDan
Competition winner

How do I Bake animations in blender

Post by xDan »

I read on the forum that I should bake animations before exporting them to .x, but I can't find how to do this in the blender interface!!

I searched google too but it mostly gives stuff about baking cakes. :( Or just tells you to bake stuff but not where the actual button is :(
Nuisance

Post by Nuisance »

User Preferences block, click Render, then it says Bake Render Meshes.

Never used that before, and that might be what you want.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

er...
nono...that's a cool feature, anyway, for producing lightmaps among other thing..

what he ask for is...He surely has a rig, with constraints of the kind: ik solvers, track to, copy to, etc...he wants to bake em, cause if not, the x export will be wrecked (md5 exporter instead does this well, no extra action needed. x may have in a future. )

In Blender 2.43 , the final release (what you download in blender.org, not a non final build) , do this :

* go to Action Editor. (the buddy running icon)

* there where u see a "pin" icon, you will find near a button, "Bake".Click it.(unsure if u need the armature in pose mode with all bones selected...surely not)

* You still in the standard action, the one you used to work. Besides the pin icon, you see a double arrow icon, click it to deploy the list of actions...choose AC:Action.Baked (is the name unless you renamed your initial action, could be AC:UglyOgre.baked , for example, then...) .This way you are using THAT action, the baked one, and you want to use it for exporting (surely NOT for continue editing! ) . You should see now in action editor how keyframes for EVERY bone have populated every frame. Now export. All bones have a keyframe per frame, it "baked" what ever the constraints where doing exactly, but output in standard bone keyframes that the exporter can deal with.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

OK thankyou. I will try that although I have since discovered Luke's b3d exporter which seems to work without baking. 8)
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Sorry for bumping this older thread, but xDan could you please post a link to a working .b3d exporter for Blender?
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!