svn move

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
bitplane
Admin

svn move

Post by bitplane »

The svn repository is undergoing a long awaited directory structure change.

All source will now be in /trunk, external libraries will be held in /vendor, while releases and experimental code will be moved to /branches.

This will take a few commits since svn doesn't like me moving something twice without committing, I'll post again when it's complete.
Last edited by bitplane on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

okay done..
please complain here or in bug reports if i broke anything!

edit:

The new URL for the latest code is https://irrlicht.svn.sourceforge.net/sv ... icht/trunk
Last edited by bitplane on Mon May 21, 2007 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow, that was fast :o I'm still downloading, so I don't know if something's failed. But the first impression was good. Thanks!
sRc

Post by sRc »

hmm, with the libraries moved to another folder, how does that affect building svn?
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

the libraries are in their original place as well . The vendor branch is used to store the original versions, while the copied versions are to store local modifications as well. Then you can merge in new versions more easily.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

took me a while to figure out why I couldn't do a "svn copy" in the repository, I kept getting http 403 errors.
Turns out that it's a sourceforge bug - you need to add the project unix name as a subdomain of the svn host, so to use "svn copy" I needed to check the code out from https://irrlicht.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/irrlicht instead of https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/irrlicht ..

I'll throw in some search engine spam for good measure: 403 Forbidden sourceforge commit svn move svn mv trunk error, solution!

On another note, I might have done things the wrong way around. I think I should have copied the snapshots then committed, then copied the main directories to trunk, followed by another commit, then finally removed the original copies. Apologies to everyone who's now had to download the bulk of the source 4 times over, this might have been avoidable :oops:

Oh well, you live and learn eh? :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'm not sure if this can be really avoided. As I understood SVN handles files on the client side as largely unrelated. So it won't notice the identity of the copies and would have downloaded everything nevertheless.
anylo

Re: svn move

Post by anylo »

bitplane wrote:All source will now be in /trunk, external libraries will be held in /vendor, while releases and experimental code will be moved to /branches.
I might be wrong (well, no I'm not), but usually releases are in /tags.

Anyway, current solution is much better than the old one.

EDIT:
Checkout last example in svn copy.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I've tried and it works
Anyway, I'd also edited the link in wiki. Sorry for the late action.
Err well... anyone know where can I find the tutorial for building the source on window? :oops: (I've just started to use svn today)
lester

Post by lester »

just a notice
What to do with the the SkinnedMesh branch? does it have any purpose?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

the SkinnedMesh branch is the new animation system thing.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

i think the whole business of keeping releases in /tags is a cvs thing, people still do it for svn but I think it's mostly for tradition. There's no difference between a branch and a tag in svn.
anyway, we opted to go for just 3 dirs at the root, possibly adding one for tools at some later date
mispunt

Post by mispunt »

bitplane wrote:i think the whole business of keeping releases in /tags is a cvs thing, people still do it for svn but I think it's mostly for tradition. There's no difference between a branch and a tag in svn.
When reading the official SVN documentation you will find that they suggest to create a /tags for releases. That way it is easier for people to find a specific release.
anylo

Post by anylo »

Virion wrote:I've tried and it works
Anyway, I'd also edited the link in wiki. Sorry for the late action.
Err well... anyone know where can I find the tutorial for building the source on window? :oops: (I've just started to use svn today)
Re-edited wiki, correct command is
svn co https://irrlicht.svn.sourceforge.net/sv ... t[b]/trunk[/b] irrlicht

Always check out trunk if there's no specific reason to do otherwise.
anylo

Post by anylo »

mispunt wrote:
bitplane wrote:i think the whole business of keeping releases in /tags is a cvs thing, people still do it for svn but I think it's mostly for tradition. There's no difference between a branch and a tag in svn.
When reading the official SVN documentation you will find that they suggest to create a /tags for releases. That way it is easier for people to find a specific release.
/Tags has nothing to do with CVS. It's been always "separate dev versions are in branches, releases are in tags".

Always do things as they are agreed to do, otherwise things like this might happen.