Water animate it!

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
HKurban

Water animate it!

Post by HKurban »

Well, I've got some pretty neat water for my RTS. Two single planes, one is opaque and symbolizes "deep water". The other one is translucent, is a couple scale "feet" above the other and is "shallow water". Here are some examples below.

The only thing I'm missing for realism is a way to animate waves or at least give water somewhat of a current (for rivers, etc.). I need something simple, yet effective. I'm hoping for perhaps a way to animate the texture itself. With Blender3d is there any way to do this?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Are you using a water scene node?
JP

Post by JP »

Simply using a water scene node will animate the waves for you, or you can do that yourself by having the water as a grid of vertices and using trig values to change the height of the vertices which works quite nicely. You could also do the waves in a vertex or pixel shader as well but that gets a bit more complicated.
Image Image Image
HKurban

Post by HKurban »

This is all blender internal (not exported. My programmer handles the "scene node" stuff, so what should I tell him?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

hmm.. water is the special effects department's responsibility!
will it use realtime reflections, or simple reflection maps? will it be shader based? will it even require a mesh, and if so, how detailed will it need to be? do you need to create a sea bed under the water?
you need a decision on what kind of technology will be used before you can make art for it.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

HKurban wrote: My programmer handles the "scene node" stuff
Lol so why are you the one asking on the forums?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

uh... because this subforum is for 3d art questions perhaps? :P
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room