exporting cal3d from 3ds max

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
CameroKid

exporting cal3d from 3ds max

Post by CameroKid »

I'm trying to export my model. I can export the skeleton, animations, and materials no problem. However whenever I export the mesh a box pops up that says I have not selected a mesh. But I have selected a mesh. If I select a bone the program crashes. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Dances

Post by Dances »

try edit->select all then export.
CameroKid

Post by CameroKid »

I tryed it while the bones were frozen and got the same error. Tried it with nothing frozen and it crashed.
Dances

Post by Dances »

Have tried selecting the mesh in Mesh, Poly, and Patch? Perhaps one of them will work...
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

mm why would u try b3d blitz3d format it is the best or .x !!
and what 3dsmax version u are using!?
CameroKid

Post by CameroKid »

mesh had the same result. Patch and Poly crashed it. I'm using 3ds max 8. I'm using the cal3d mesh so I can use cal3d animation blending tools. Can you do blending with blitz or x?
Dances

Post by Dances »

... I'm starting to run out of ideas... try re-downloading your exporter? Or another one all together? Maybe it is corrupted.
CameroKid

Post by CameroKid »

redownloading it didn't help. I tried a previous version, but there arn't any for max 8. This is really getting me mad
Dances

Post by Dances »

Can you contact the developer of the plug-in? They will know more than I do... I'm sorry I can't think of anything else.
CameroKid

Post by CameroKid »

thanks for trying
linkoraclehero

Post by linkoraclehero »

Doesn't this NOT belong in the Irrlicht forums? XD.
Anyway, we're nice people here so what the hell.
Personally, I do my complex modeling in Maya 3D, export it, then open it in Milkshape 3D. Because Milkshape is such a simple interface program (No workarounds to loading), if it loads in Milkshape, it loads in mostly everything. From there, you have 40 or so formats to export to (Almost all 100% successfully :)). On top of that. MS3D ASCII files ARE supported in Irrlicht :)
CameroKid

Post by CameroKid »

sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I did get the export to work in milkshape, but I don't like milkshape's animation program. What file type do you export from maya to ms?