Cell shading

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

There are some games that just can't do without it - but only games based on cartoons or comic strips come to mind; the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's game, and that 'make your own super hero game' that I can't remember the title of.

Not saying that faissal's game is one of them, but I don't agree that this one feature would "double the user base of Irrlicht."

I'm sure there are plenty of other features that would double the userbase of Irrlicht, but not cel shading alone. There must be plenty of 3D engines out there that have a huge userbase and can't do cel shading.

I think it has a very specific use, rather than a general use feature, like bump mapping, or pixel shading.
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

i agree. Its great for some setting, but fundamental technologies like bump mapping and displacement mapping would be of far greater value
faissal

Post by faissal »

i'm agree too , but if you read carefully , i didn't say that celshading is the only effect that would double the number of users ,
but i mountionned also a Cg(shaders programming) feature wich include almost all the effects (bumb mapping , all sort of shadows, advanced transformation ... and so on)

==============================
irr 0.7 ==> 1D texturing
==============================
lol
wa9oul i3malou fasayara ALLAH 3amalakom wa rasoulouhou wa almou2minoun
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

everything you need to have basic cel-shading is a decent sphere mapping support in IrrLicht. I have made CelShading this way in other engines.
faissal

Post by faissal »

can you send me the source code so that i can examin it :?:
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

The source code i wrote was for Blitz, and it is very different to IrrLicht. When I say CelShading, i mean the shading technique applied to the object, NOT the black outline of the object (this help to make a cartoonish style, but it is NOT Cel-Shading). To do celshading, just create a texture which has 3 horizontal rectangles of the same size. The rectangle on the top has to be white, the rect in the middle has to be of light grey and the rectangle on the bottom has to be of dark grey. Apply it to the object using sphere mapping, and you got celshading. But this does not work in IttLicht correctly yet, because spheremapping is currently very badly implemented.
faissal

Post by faissal »

oro !

as i said , we can make cel shading without shaders , we can do it if we have just 2 very important elements :
1st one : 1D texturing wich irrlicht does not manage
(in another words that's a request to niko to implement it in 0.7 version (that's easy in opengl))
secondo : Multitexturing

with these 2 elements i can make the effect

ps: 1)i have the blitz3d if you have the source code please send it to me
2) Zelda wind weaker is created around this effect and don't use outline (i know zelda does not use sphere maping :P )
c u
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Source sent to your email
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

faissal wrote:...i didn't say that celshading is the only effect that would double the number of users...
I know, it was some other person who said that. I was aiming that post at them. Sorry for the confusion.

Post by Guest »

ok