Irrlicht 1.3.1

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
niko
Site Admin

Irrlicht 1.3.1

Post by niko »

We just released Irrlicht 1.3.1, for details please take a look at the front page. Happy downloading.
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

i took a short look at the changes :) looks like you fixed most of my bugs i had,

Good job!
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

nice to see you working on the engine again niko :D
olivehehe_03

Post by olivehehe_03 »

Nice work, especially since I recompiled everything without any troubles :D
Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away.
white tiger

Post by white tiger »

i'm glad niko come back to work on the engine.

I took a look at changes.txt, my opinion is that you have fixed lots of bugs and implement some features, but Irrlicht still suffer of 1 bug. The FPS drop drastically down for animated meshes.

In fact with irrlicht 1.1 i get 50-60 FPS in my game, with 1.3 i get 1-3 FPS.

I think you should find a solution. Personally I would prefer if in 1.3.1 there weren't support for texture creation flags in ogl , but this bug were fixed.

I think I'll stay with 1.1
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

white tiger:

that's a very big, drop in framerate, what format are you using. and what is your game doing?
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

It is great to see that there are bugfix releases now ! A great step forward. :D
-------------------------------------------------------
iZigoo - The open 3D internet

iZigoo Homepage
greenya

Re: Irrlicht 1.3.1

Post by greenya »

niko wrote:We just released Irrlicht 1.3.1.
Thanks.
I was waiting for it to release next version of my project.
white tiger wrote:In fact with irrlicht 1.1 i get 50-60 FPS in my game, with 1.3 i get 1-3 FPS.
Solution: create small example that shows this behavior and post it to bug reports.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

white tiger wrote:i'm glad niko come back to work on the engine.

I took a look at changes.txt, my opinion is that you have fixed lots of bugs and implement some features, but Irrlicht still suffer of 1 bug. The FPS drop drastically down for animated meshes.

In fact with irrlicht 1.1 i get 50-60 FPS in my game, with 1.3 i get 1-3 FPS.

I think you should find a solution. Personally I would prefer if in 1.3.1 there weren't support for texture creation flags in ogl , but this bug were fixed.

I think I'll stay with 1.1
Besides the official announcement made by Niko and not by someone else what makes the impression that Niko made less in former versions? But anyway...
I just checked versions 1.1 through 1.3.1 with the collision example. The FPS were basically the same, with +-10% depending on resolution etc with the exception of 1.3.0. There I got about half the FPS expected. So I'd say that those problems are fixed (temporarily until the new animation system works). It's either your model, your code, or a completely different bug.
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

hybrid wrote: (temporarily until the new animation system works).
That's what I'm waiting on. So this release fixed the "double" animations bug as well. I didn't see it on the list, but I could have missed it of saw it thinking something else.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe it was not announced because it was temporarily hacked into the code.
lantis

Post by lantis »

Same problem.. im come from 1.3 to 1.3.1 and FPS drop from 30-35 fps to 0-1
Im can try make example of code which show problem
lantis

Post by lantis »

Im upload modified Terrain example - its show 60fps on 1.3 and 0-1 fps on 1.3.1

http://www.shadow-dimension.com/files/slow_perf_bug.rar

Hope this bug can be fixed asap ;( its really impossible now to use collision on meshs
white tiger

Post by white tiger »

I can't test the FPS in 1.3.1 because of a bug wich make my body far from the node and fall down , and can't test so.

However on 1.3.1 the FPS seem better than 1.3 but less than 1.1 (about 25-30 FPS in 1.3.1, 1-3 FPS in 1.3 and 50-60FPS in 1.1 but need to test more)

I said the bug is still in 1.3.1 because it didn't mark as fixed in changes.txt. However personally I need to test more :wink:

Also, the md2 normals fix make my phong shader works a lot better now on md2 models thanks :D

But i have several bugs now, didn't happen with 1.1 :cry:

1) OGL billboard texture is bugged in 1.3.1. It should show 1 texture for the billboard (size of the billboard 20,20), instead it shows 2 half of the texture (1 at left and 1 at right). Works good in dx9.
Worked good in ogl and dx9 in 1.1.

2) static texts (addStaticTexSceneNode) don't work in ogl, dx9 and software2. The text is simply not showed. Worked in all the 3 renders in 1.1 . :?

3) A my custom scene node doesn't work. I changed s32 getMaterialCount in u32 getMaterialcount, OnPreRender in OnAnimate exc. but it still doesn't work

4) The md2 animations by name (setMD2Animation("stand") for example) are now A LOT faster than in 1.1 . Why :?

5) Some times my weapon attached to the camera disappear completely in certain position\rotation of the camera

6) [Not really a bug of irrlicht, probabily it depends by my code] The body in irrNewt is far from the node. It worked with 1.1. Maybe this depends by my code, but in 1.1 works good and in 1.3.1 not. Some changes wich can make this ?

These are the main bugs. I can post a bug report for every of this with screenshot and example code, if an irrlicht's author take a look :wink:

When I fix 6 I can tell you more about FPS :wink:
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:D :D i am different to u guys my fps in 1.3 was 24 and now in 1.3.1 it is 45
wow irrlicht 1.3.1 has doubled the frame rate
thanks niko :)