[NEW VIDEO] [updated:::: New Photos] -My (NO NAME) game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
beshrkayali

[NEW VIDEO] [updated:::: New Photos] -My (NO NAME) game

Post by beshrkayali »

------------[Update]---------------
New Video
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ungwuptxto

sorry, i couldn't upload to google video or youtube, they are not workin right now
:roll: :roll:

check it out..........
---------------------------------------

------------[Update]---------------
I've posted new snapshots on http://www.flickr.com/GamePreview

check it out..........
---------------------------------------

hey all

i just want to show you some snapshots of the game that i'm working on these days, and i want to ask you a question after you see these snapshots:

And now i have two question:
1- Any suggestions for a name??
2- Is it wrong if i have all of my game code in one cpp file??
Last edited by beshrkayali on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

1: Labyrinth.

2: Yes its very wrong :P Learn to use classes and place them in seperate files. That aside, when I was a noob I made quite a few things using only one cpp file.

Other things:

Are you using physics in this?

Are you thinking about implementing some form of shadow, are those lightmaps I see?
beshrkayali

Post by beshrkayali »

1: good name, i might use it 8)

2: i will learn how to make classes, and i'll use them in my next project, or version of the same game.

and yes, i'm using physics, i'm using IrrNewt 0.4 :wink: which is so great and helpful.

about shodows, i'm thinking of adding it only for the ball. but i'm still testing, maybe i'll add it for the keys also. :arrow:

thank you for answering :D
deesine

Post by deesine »

Good job. With some proper texturing and shadows for the dynamic objects this could be really nice. Though, gameplay should be first priority :)

Have you thought of maybe adding a blob-shadow to the objects (ball, key)? Might work as an alternative to dynamic shadows.

PS. I think we've all done those one-file projects at one point or another ;)
beshrkayali

Post by beshrkayali »

thank you deesine,

firstly, sorry, but i don't know the blob-shodow thing, i'll search it right away.

and about these one-file project, why it is wrong to do it?? is just because classes makes it easy??? or for some other reason.
lester

Post by lester »

first, the project looks great! I think you should name it "Labirynth of the Darkness" :)

second, how did you make a lightmapping?

third, about one cpp file. It is harmless to store all the code in one file, but when you project will become more complex, the compiling that file will take more and more time. Also you will have problems with finding errors in that file because looking through 10,000 lines of code is a bit boring
beshrkayali

Post by beshrkayali »

1. Good names :lol:

2. About the light mapping, i'm using 3D World Studio 5.47 to create my levels, which allows me to automaticlly create lightmaps for my level when i save it as a B3D file :wink:

3. does it make playing my game slower if i compiled my one-file project?? i mean after compiling??

thanx for answering
deesine

Post by deesine »

beshrkayali wrote:firstly, sorry, but i don't know the blob-shodow thing, i'll search it right away.
Simply put, it's a static shadow that follows the object, it can be added to the model. You might have seen something like that in games where the characters have a circular "blob" beneath them on the ground to represent shadow, doesn't work too well with sloped terrain tho.

However, it might be easier to just add a light which casts a shadow :)
FriendlyWarlord

Post by FriendlyWarlord »

I'd split classes into separate files no matter what I'm doing, but I can't tell you how you want to do a small project. If it's just a really simple quick & dirty game, and you feel completely comfortable working with 1 file (AND if nobody else needs to look at or change your code), then do whatever you want. But learning to use better techniques is always good.

Could you imagine if Irrlicht was coded in 1 file? Irrlicht.cpp wouldn't have made it past infancy.

Anyway, the screenshots look good - is it fun yet? =] If it's just "generic maze" right now, I'd suggest adding a timer, and some fun gameplay physics (if it doesn't have that already).

A name? "Labyrinth" sounds awfully generic - I'm almost certain I own a board game called "Labyrinth", and another called "Labyrinth II". How about "Mr. McSphere's Amazing Maze Tomfoolery"? Or not......

Well, good luck =)
=D
GuerillaSoftworks

Post by GuerillaSoftworks »

Sorry but i cant help with a name, im usless at naming things. i sometimes sit at my computer for hours trying to decide on a name for a class lol.

It reminds me of a game I used to play on Playstation 1, cant remember its name though.

You should try to get out of the habit of writing one-file-wonders as soon as possible. I gotta say your game looks pretty good though. Nice one.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
beshrkayali

Post by beshrkayali »

thank you all for answering

about the name, i must admit it that i'm more messed up now than i was before :) but all good name, thank you all

as i said before this game is still in development, so any good ideas about making it more fun is welcome, here is what i come up with till now:
1- i'll add some fans, that will blow the ball away, in some places, i think that would make it fun.

2- i'll add springs, so the ball jumps from a place to another, and maybe i'll add a thing that will change your place instantly, (like cronosphere in Red Aler 2 :P )

3- in order to win a level you should get all of the keys and go to a door or something so you win the level.

just that till now, if you have any ideas, please tell me.

about that this game looks like another, yes, i guess it is a little bit similar to a game called balance, i had it on my pc, and it was sooooo fun.

thank ya all :wink:
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey I just checked your link you are from syria,

Salam Alaykum I am from Iraq :D

BTW, why are you doing philosophy if your interest is in programming?
GuerillaSoftworks

Perhaps if your using fans it would be cool to have pits to abvoid falling down. And I like the idea of springs sounds very good.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
beshrkayali

Post by beshrkayali »

hey BlindSide,

I'm studing philosophy because i want to get into the logic section, so i can be a better programmer :P gaming is just a Hobby 8).

GuerillaSoftworks, do you have any other ideas, i think it would be boring if all the levels in my game had the same things (fans, springs), i need more!!!
GuerillaSoftworks

I think that each level in your game could use the same set of pit/fan/spring style entities without making it boring. If you have well designed maps/courses then it wouldnt get boring. For example say on the first level you simply have to navigate around some walls, perhaps awith a pit somewhere; next level you have to launch youself from one surface to another to get the end of the level; then the next you launch yourself again but have to time it right to get past a fan that would otherwise make you miss where you need to land. etc. etc.
Guerilla Softworks