i’m confused of 3D game programming !!!!

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
kevinlynx

i’m confused of 3D game programming !!!!

Post by kevinlynx »

Alougth i know this is not a technique question ,i still want to talk about my puzzle .
If you are familiar with 3d game programming and working in a game developing company , you are the right person who can help me . I just need your some proper words to guid me .

As you know, 3d game programming is quite different with 2d programming . In 3d there are so many graphics details to pay attention to. And you should learn some 3d math and 3d graphics etc. These subjects are far away coding in my opinion. And when i learn 3d math and 3d graphics, i feel very difficult . I think my math is not good .

But i really want to make some 3d games (not some 3d graphics demo), and i know many game companies mainly develop 3d games.So if i want to find a game developing job, i also should learn 3d game programming . But you know, there are so many 3d game engines in the world, like Irrlicht( alougth i know it's a graphics engine), so i want to ask you :
If i willnot develop a 3d game engine, can i only learn how to use an engine but not to learn these 3d math and 3d graphics (i didnot get along well with them :( )? And if you get my idea, can you give me some proper advices ? Thanks in advance .

Kevin Lynx
GuerillaSoftworks

Post by GuerillaSoftworks »

Irrlicht provides an interface to 3d graphics APIs, meaning that most of the hard work is already done for you. It requires little knowledge of mathematics involved with graphics; all you need to know is simple terminology and what it refers to. Aside from graphics the only other thing you need worry about when writing a game is physics. But there are quite a few free physics engines to help with that, though some mathematics will still be required when using them. There's also Artifical Intellegence to take into account. In most cases this isnt too much hand wrecking maths, but some complex projects can delve deep into decision mathematics. It's unlikley that a game will require such complex AI but if it does then there are some free AI engines/libarys (if you look hard enough).

Good luck.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
Jallen

Post by Jallen »

And when i learn 3d math and 3d graphics, i feel very difficult . I think my math is not good .
When there are things that you dont understand, i think its mainly a matter of just going back over basics.

Anybody can do maths, theres nothing wrong with using a calculator, so its just a case of know what things mean rather than being able to easily understand things.
GuerillaSoftworks

@ Jallen... Mathematics isn't simply being able simply calculate things you know. It's more, why are are you calcualting something? and, how are you calcualting something? There is more of a thought process involved rather than simply just working something out.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I find, oddly enough, that when someone has this kind of problem it is not a lack of maths or 3d knowledge, but a lack of creativity and imagination. Come on guy, just slap on a Z axis and your away! :D
Jallen

Post by Jallen »

@ Jallen... Mathematics isn't simply being able simply calculate things you know. It's more, why are are you calcualting something? and, how are you calcualting something? There is more of a thought process involved rather than simply just working something out.
I think i get what you mean, it can be a bit confusing working out exactly what it is that you need to do to work something out. To be honest, i dont think its an issue 80% of the time though, theres always many ways of doing something, so you can just do it in the way you find easiest.

kevinlynx i think you just need to stick with it, using forums and such if you get stuck and eventually you will get good. It will make you mathematically more methodical and fast practising it frequently through game programming anyway.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

even thow the math isnt that needed in irrlciht if you plan on movie to directx or opengl...witch you probley will have if plan on doing game programming for a living....Im learning directx and i had to learn some 3d math......
GuerillaSoftworks

I find that some solutiotion to programmming problems require very little knowledge of maths. This is the case most of the time but when it's not it can become very difficult for some as knowing how to perform a certain calculation often requires knowledge of other mathematical functions / equations and understanding them throughouly. It can take a very long time to understand some aspects. Time is probably the main issue as when people jump into the deep end and dont undersstand they tend to give up. Start with the basics and build on that. Doesnt come about overnight though.

On the note of game development though. Libaries and APIs usually allow absence of this type of knowledge which is great and more productive.
Guerilla Softworks

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

You won't get far without learning to do the math. Using an engine will save you some time, but it won't be enough. What you need to understand are some concepts (like vector and matrix math). Otherwise you won't know how to use the engine. Once you understand that you can look up the formulas anyway. Sorry.

But I also have some good news. Surprisingly lot of programmers in the gameindustry are not that good with math. And it seems hard for the most people at first, because learning it in school helps, but actually using math is still hard. So there's a high chance that you will get better after a while.

And it's not that much math you will need. Most of the time you get along with a good grasp of algebra when doing computergames. Don't give up, you can learn that. And there are many sites in the net which try to help you.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Idd, and as a plus, many good vector or matrix class will come with all the standard formulas you might want to use pre-built-in. For example, most if not all matrix have a dot product member function. That means when you learn the theory, you can apply it right away without being too savy with the pratice ;)
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
kevinlynx

Post by kevinlynx »

i am really inspired by all of your wonderful advice ! Thanks all , i think i still should learn some basic of 3d math . i'll try my best . Thank you all again !
dejai

Post by dejai »

Hey I have something that will really help you. Ok now in gaming 3d is not how you think it is its close but not exact.

Downlaod irredit.

Now open it up and you will see a box.

Click on the box then goto the top right hand side and you will see a little roate icon.

Click that.

Rotate the object that is how objects are rotated within a 3d world, also try moving it and thats how things move in a 3d world it helped me alot.

Try Scaling, Positioning, Rotation, Animation, Terrain Building, Sky Box, Texture Changing, Mesh Chaning. This will give you a insight into how a 3d world works then look at tutorial7,8 and the terrain/ mesh one this will increase your understanding of the 3d world.

To download irredit simply navigate your way to it from the irrlicht.sourceforge.net home page good luck.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com