Major sci-fi racing game project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

hmm you just got one problem licensing man some stuff isnt under gpl and others like it.... if you wanted to use mp3's in your game youd have to get a licence.......are you willing to pay for spare licences?
Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

If it is absolutely required, then we would find some solution about those licenses. But im sure WAV can do pretty well, OR we could get someone to code us a custom loader. If it doesnt matter in which language it is coded, i have a friend that is a delphi master.

Anyway, there is a solution for every problem we might run into. The main thing is to work on the project. Discussing it wont get us any closer to the goal, i guess..
I was born with enough middle fingers, I dont need to choose a side!
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

10 tracks on WAV will take up the whole CD. Use OGG instead, it is the same as mp3 but with no licensing issues and supported by nearly all audio libraries including audiere and irrklang.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

well i like all your answers and well im willing to help im pertty decent with audio programming (using a libary like audiere and irrklang) if ya need me im here .
Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

Great now there's some progress. I hope this team will form up soon so we can finally start working. I will be checking this thread a few times per day to see if anyone else joined.
GuerillaSoftworks

Post by GuerillaSoftworks »

I am interested in your project. Though im not quite sure where i would fit in. Also how the programming team is going to be setup and organised is an issue. Though perhaps as this thread goes on this type of thing will become more apparent.

// edit:
I suppose i could help with physics, i have fairly good knowledge of how the Newton engine works, though not so much with irrlicht; this however wouldnt take much time to resolve. Ill post again when i have further thoughts.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

lol well the programming team is going to need two things 1. one language as of know i only know 3 c++,java,php 2.a way to keep up with all the source files. i can set up a cvs on my server so we can set up a cvs conenction threw dev and just download all the progress of the code. Just upload the work you done..... should work nicley.
GuerillaSoftworks

In my opinion C++ would be the best bet. As for the CVS, thats a good idea; having it working in conjunction with a forum would be nice also.

Ok yeah, Dread Night if you want my help on this i'll definately do it. Just let me know.
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

i'd be more than glad to have your help. So basically, there are audio and physics programmers now. What are we seeking next?

(i'll pm you where to join in a few minutes)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

What I'm always wondering at such "lets do a mmo-whatever" projects is that no one seems to consider why other teams did not do that mmo stuff already. Do you think it's such a new idea? Oh and while at it - why not just throw in some more features like transformations and more effects and more items and maybe some physics (in multiplayer!!!) just for the fun of it?

Let's tell you something, which most everybody knows already anyway. Nearly every gameidea will in the long run be implemented as mmo. The reason there are not more is not(!) that no one thinks of it, but that it is so hard to do. You have to build up the technology and the team first. The team can even be very small once you know and trust it. Teamsize and technology are somewhat variable and can depend on the quality of each other. But you can't start with a mmo from nothing. It will result in a lot of work done for the trash bin because it will fail.

Do first steps first. Start with a simpler project to build up the technology. Find a team which will work (some people will jump the project - and you don't want do have those when doing something really big). You can't skip those steps as little as you can win a race by just starting a few meters before the finishing line.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

I understand that sir, and i already have a carefully considered plan. I dont want to make this game a mmo right away. I said, it Could become a mmo later on, if successful, but at first we must make a working demo of the game, just to show the people that we are doing something, that there is progress. A game with some features, 5-6 hovercrafts and a couple of parts for the people to mess with will be enough for the first version. As the popularity grows, we will add more and more parts, hovercrafts, options, finally making it a mmo.

I know we cannot make a big commercial project out of this right away.. But what i seek right now, is for the project to actually gather the required programmers, and start already. Some people from this forum have already applied to join, and they are probably ready to start. All we need is a few more people to get this running.
GuerillaSoftworks

OK, iv'e registered to the forum using the name SwitchCase.

CuteAlien; Firstly whats wrong with a challenge? Secondly what's your problem with effects and physics in a multiplayer game? And finally, without knowlege to base your assumptions on, why would you post in a such a tone as to attempt to put people down?
Guerilla Softworks

wildrj

Post by wildrj »

hmmmm multiplayer isnt so bad you just send the change of states....
not so difficult if you plan it out if we dont get a net programmer ill learn some net programming.....
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

@CuteAlien Roflmao hahahahhaaahahah. Seams u don't want any competition ha? By the way, the only thing that connects this 2 games will be the hover crafts and nothing else. And i think that Dread Knight's game will be better than yours :P
Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

GuerillaSoftworks, i have added you to the permission list. You can see the forums now. Welcome to the team.

Im sorry if others see this project as competetion. That is not what i wanted. Im not here to race anyone, or do something just to say "look at us, our game is better than yours". I want a game that will jump off the boring fps, rpg and car racing. We had enough of them. Second, i'd like to help the opensource community somehow, since in a couple of occasions, the opensource products were helpful to me, and i felt like i havent repaid in any way. Third, a successful game project will surely be a shiny, valuable part of my job resume/CV, as im sure it would on everyone's that is involved.

Again, sorry if this offends anyone..