War of the Mages (Krieg der Magier)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Delight

War of the Mages (Krieg der Magier)

Post by Delight »

My project is still in the pre alpha stage but anyway I want to post some screenshots. It's called "Krieg der Magier" ("War of the mages" in english, but the title looses elegancy translating it..) and is a real time strategy game. Some further information can be found here. I'll update the blog as often as possible. But now the screenshots (click to enlarge):

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.
Last edited by Delight on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenya

Post by greenya »

Very nice.
Keep it up.
:wink:
Delight

Post by Delight »

Today I build a first "playable" demo. Nothing worldshaking, but the things, which are already implemented, can be discovered now. The minimap isn't done, but the basic pathfinding should work. Group movement and formations are still missing. If you move more than one unit, then they'll all take the same path and move one after another.

The camera movement is very easy. You cam zoom in and out with the mouse wheel and rotate the camera with the arrow keys. To move the camera focus move the mouse cursor near to the edges.

And here is the file. Please leave a comment, when there are any problems or bugs.

By the way: Since it is programmed in C# using Irrlicht.NETCP you need the .Net framework to run the program (and of course DirectX 9.0)
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

Ok, crashed for me. After your prog loaded some images, my PC froze completly (hadn't have this kind of error for a very long time ;-) )

BTW, I started the "RTS Engine.exe" executable. Hope this was the right approach.

.NET and Dx9 both installed. The Irrlicht Demos do run using the DirectX-Device.
Delight

Post by Delight »

Mmmh that's strange. I know from three guys that the prog is working on their pcs... One question: What type of graphic card do you have? It should support 5 texture stages and if it doesn't - well I don't know how the program handles this...
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

didn't crash for me, nice how you did the fog.
Revan1985

Post by Revan1985 »

it's good...
but only a thing...

make a key to quit....
poop, this game is 1024*768 in window mode, and i'm not able to kill him :P

for the others things, is very good :wink:
CPU: AMD PHENOMII X6 1090T BE 3,2GHZ
RAM : OCZ 8GB 2*4GB DDR3 LOW VOLTAGE 1333
VGA: GeForce GTX680 2GB
HD : 500GB + 500GB + 2x1TB Raid Edition + 500GB External
Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR FORMULA 4 890FX AM3
PSU: Corsair 750W
CPU Cooling: Katana 2
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

Well, I played your demo, too....The fog of war is quite impressive...good work...
Can't wait to the game sometimes....

regards masterhawk
Georgian

Post by Georgian »

i played the demo but only spiders are visible, nothing more just spiders and a green cube, no terrain fog or anything. weird...

i'm using latest ATI drivers with my x1300pro.
using Visual Studio 2003 , I use 3D Max 7, I love irrlicht its a really good and easy engine
Delight

Post by Delight »

The way I see it I have to fix a lot of bugs. The terrain uses some features and I have to implement some fallbacks... But the x1300pro should render the terrain - my radeon 9700 does it too and I think the x1300pro is much better... What does the console say?
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

Delight wrote:Mmmh that's strange. I know from three guys that the prog is working on their pcs... One question: What type of graphic card do you have? It should support 5 texture stages and if it doesn't - well I don't know how the program handles this...
I've got a Nvidia 6800 Go (Laptop computer).
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

I got the ati radeon 9600 pro ver old 8)
Delight

Post by Delight »

Georgians problem has to do with the map.hlsl shader. When you change

Code: Select all

Output.RGBColor = (c1 + c2 + c3) * l;
to

Code: Select all

Output.RGBColor = (c1 + c2 + c3);
the terrain should be visible( but without fog). Perhaps I reduce the amount of the terraintextures - then it is possible to render the terrain with 4 textures and even OpenGlide should work again... But then there are only two different grounds... I have to think about it.

But I still cannot imagine, why Hyperions Laptop crashes...

EDIT: I made my decision and reduced the amount of terraintextures. There are two different ground types now. Perhaps I'll implement OpenGl support too.

I've uploaded the new file (http://www.the-kotti.de/PreAlpha.rar). I hope that the terrain is now visible...
k_kolibri_7

Post by k_kolibri_7 »

Hey.

It doesn't work on my computer, when I start the program, i can't see anything!

But I'm really intrested in how you came so far with that program.

Could I have a look on the source code please? (Ich spreche auch Deutsch :P)
Delight

Post by Delight »

Well currently I am rewriting the code. I am not happy about the tile based pathfinding and want to implement polygon based pathfinding. Overmore the terrain generation and texturing will be changed. I think I'll use precomputed heightmaps and textures (which will be done similar to now, but will allow more than two or three different terrain types).

Perhaps I'll make it open source, when it's actually useful but I haven't thougt about this yet