DirextX8 crashes

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Jedive wrote:You don't trust me, uh? :)
Well, at least it worked perfectly for me.
No, it's not that - I know it works because it's working for people like you. But I can't get it to work, and neither can Arras, so when he finds out what he's doing wrong, it might be the same thing I'm doing wrong, and I can fix mine too.
RbxiR29WWNY=

Post by RbxiR29WWNY= »

[quote="arras"]I was triing to recompile Irrlicht.dll again on my computer in work but it gave me error 255 in Makefile.win. May be its because I had Windows2000.[quote]

Yes I had the same prop with W2K...
The command line of W2K seems to be to short for the ammount of object files to be linked together by wrapdll.exe...

Maybe someone knows a solution for W2K to get the Irrlicht source compiled ???

CU, Acki
arras

Post by arras »

OK I recompiled my Irrlicht.dll at my XP computer and it run smooth under DirectX8 now.
I had to make mistake somewhere when I was kompiling it for the firsth time.
DirectX9 is still giving me crash ...dont know why yet.

Did you also noticed that under DirectX texture quality is horrible? OpenGL load and display texture all right but with DX there is significal texture quality downgrade.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I think everyone has slightly different experiences with the different renderers. I put this down to Irrlicht being a very young engine. One way of improving texture quality I have seen a few people doing is using the ETCF_OPTIMIZED_FOR_QUALITY flag, this effects the quality of the image as it is loaded into the engine. The best quality image format I have seen is PNG, it also compresses the files a little better but because of the increase in quality the actual file becomes a little bigger. A combination of using the flag above and possibly switching file format should help you there, although you will have to find a PNG library and write a wrapper for irrlicht to use it.