blender export animation sucks

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

so we are depending on others format if b3d community will think like that they wouldn't make .b3d :lol: so why did they made b3d because they wanted one and only one format to deal with with it's own exporters and to shut down the headache rather here in irrlicht i see people say (like me :P )
what fromat do we use
plz tell me how to export this format
this fromat doesnt work well in irrlicht
irrlicht doesnt support animations in this fromat
ahh rather than that we would have our own format that simply work with irrlicht and gets updated rather that b3d!!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

If you can't cope with one format it's not a general solution to switch to another format. You'll likely face the same problems there. You won't get a format which does everythig for you with just one method which reads your mind and knows what you need. Even with an Irrlicht format you'll have to fight with 3d modellers and their exporters because suddenly the materials will look different when being exported etc. Face the facts, developing 3d stuff is not that easy.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

so we are depending on others format if b3d community will think like that they wouldn't make .b3d Laughing so why did they made b3d because they wanted one and only one format to deal with with it's own exporters and to shut down the headache rather here in irrlicht i see people say (like me Razz )
what fromat do we use
plz tell me how to export this format
this fromat doesnt work well in irrlicht
irrlicht doesnt support animations in this fromat
ahh rather than that we would have our own format that simply work with irrlicht and gets updated rather that b3d!!

hmm...what hybrid said.

But also:

-b3d has proved to work in irrlicht.
-x also.
-b3d is not built so much from a comunity, but more from a company, mainly from a developer called Mark, which made an amazing tool for making games, took long years to do that, and wasnt born witha format prepared for bones, weights and etc of many animation and materials features....people demanded those features, and he and the company worked very hard to get that done...

Now....why. Why would be us so unpractical not to use a format that is free, so much proved and working. I'd see the reason the same one for which I'd ditch a native format for irrlicht: if no art tools preapred for it, and no security they will ever be done, no way. You'll stay doing games with plain boxes ;)

But the fact is now, at this moment, enough tools do support it.

Also, weights and bones formats are absolutely complex, and doing a natural, human feel animation, is the most complex of all. I can do oke ones, but cost a lot of effort and aquired knowledge.

As hybrid says... 3D is full of issues, in art side, programming side, and the allways forgotten...inbetween, connecting one.

I have seen wonders done with b3d format, and even more, in irrlicht there arent some certain graphic limits that actually are in b3d engine...so, double good thing...

To date, I have seen *really* few formats being supported by the main tools. You do think you're gonna find people with knowledge in making plugins for each package, which means a lot of knowledge, with bone/weights and animations, for...every art tool/package?? Really?
I wouldnt bet on that, sincerelly. Not even in making a native format supporting all needed for irrlicht and the art tools, let alone doing the needed plugins...As much I'd bet some bored genius would spend some afternoon in making a Max plugin, would get more bored at middle, andwould leave it in a point no one else can continue..."Max support", would be that called.

If you are capable, go for doing all that....

(btw, that orc could be improved a lot... ;) )
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

ya we would reqiure more knwoledge and ya we will run into long long fixing and supporting that will lead to........ maybe nothing :? mm ya u are right and b3d got working good so np :P
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

b3d is my favorite format for irrlicht.

just pointing this out though :
there are no free b3d exporters for 3ds max 9.
onigirl's doesn't work with it.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

monkeycracks wrote:b3d is my favorite format for irrlicht.

just pointing this out though :
there are no free b3d exporters for 3ds max 9.
onigirl's doesn't work with it.
ya but i got used to blender it is super coool!!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yeh, I can deal withblender for any character animation...

yet tho, if you have unwrap3d, you can use their free plugin for max 9(maya 8 supported too), http://www.unwrap3d.com/downloads.aspx then export from max as native u3d format of unwrap3d, open at unwrap 3d, and export as b3d(or x, or md5 ) from there. works great. the 3d viewer of unwrap3d shows weights and model a bit weird, but that's external display glitch, the anims and model will be exported ok.

yet tho is like 50$
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

yeah it's a shame onigirl doesn't work for 3ds max 9, but unwrap3d is great for heaps of things, and if you can afford 3ds max 9, $50 is nothing.

vermeer: is that display glitch thing still in the latest version (with the latest exporters), I though it was fixed? I haven't noticed it lately
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

OOPS

true, luke.

tetsing here in unwrap 2.32, not the very latest (2.33, downloaded the upgrade, yet didnt install.) ,it's displaying in animation playback -used to happen then- with no glitch...anyway, if I see a glitch witha different file, I'd double check externally, as in my case, never a unwrap3d export failed, only was optical viewport effect.

but yep, tested with old files I had, very old, and no glitch.

it can be luckily solved certain issues and other not, but am optimistic in its fixed inall cases. anyway, was only more comfortable, but the export was allways perfect before, too.

Lol, been saying that for a time, hope brad didnt read :D I allways praise crazily the tool as to be my first software purchase, just as my wacom intuos was my best hardware purchase for what it gives back...and I allways add that tiny detail. So, zero issues now :)

Indeed, i purchased for uvmapping power.i was in talks with brad for long as had done in lith times. iremember when he comunicated he'd start a first of animation support...lol, since then he hasnt stopped to add outstandingly format by format...he goes at his own pace, polishing what was already a jewel in its freeware times...just now is the freaking Palantir... i doubt I'll ever be so fast uv mapping with Max Uv window...

So, people having max9 (yeh,a bit more than 50$ lol) only need to download the free max plugin from unwrap3d site, put it in your max/plugins folder, restart max, and bang, you can save from max as *.u3d. Simply open that in Ultimate Unwrap now. For me, is theway to go with Max and B3D.

But what I'd totally find gorgeous is exporting directly as B3d from blender, no more steps, and all involved is a free , multiplatform tool...

That doesn't mean i don't like Max.I don prefer Max. I simply have had only access to Max in jobs, companies, etc, similar activities. Is my pro tool for character animation, and really enjoy animating with it.

BUT...not long ago, started to enjoy also with Blender in that field...in an strange way.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

other option for max9 users, is stick with x, but I'd go for b3d, not only for character animation, but also as right now is already an amazing way to port lightmaps into irrlicht. And max lightmaps...well, depends on the user, but can get as great as you want.

Come here and download the Max 9 version. I havent tried, nor I think I'll do in a while...but should certainly work!

http://mofo.pns.to/wibs/#5

AGAIN, by all means, go for b3d. ;)