I got my eye on irrlicht

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Midnight

I got my eye on irrlicht

Post by Midnight »

No seriously 8)

Just practicing my modeling and texturing in blender.

mostly for fun.

this uses like 256 faces.. which in blender each face is two poly I imagine.

512 poly eyeball with socket... minus a screwup i made and lost the actual model this took me 2 - 3 hours but I'm still learning blenders functions.

comments anyone?
is this low or high poly?
what do you think?
I'm grasping a bit little help please.
thanks for the feedback in advance.

oh btw these are 8 times subdivided for the render.
I'll post some more pics if anyones interested.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

back of the eye looks kinda' weird, texturing is quite good, maybe i wouldnt be able to make better :lol: im learning blender stuff too ;] actualy now AK-47 model is in progress ;]
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

This looks good. I'm no pro, but if there's a way (is there?) to sharpen the highlights on the eyeball to make it kinda more glistening, the eyeball will look more cooler. :)
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

lol... this thing is like speed modeling.

I could reproduce the same thing even better in minutes now.
which was the point of doing it for practice.

the back is merly the spheres natural poly with the end stretched out and shifted to look like the optic nerve. the front is the eyeball texture maya offers in their tutorial.

the actual texture I used is a very simple and quick mixture of the iris from maya tut and some red blurry paint in gimp and custom UV mapping.

I could have modeled the lens and all that but I don't have good glassy textures handy and just getting a texture on a file in blender is hard enough. plus I was going more for a FPS style game gib chunk or eye gouging special move or something. or possibly an entire character in an RPG or hack and slash.

I think personally overall I couldn't have done better at what I set out to do and I learn a lot in doing this. maybe next time I'll setup the camera and make a tutorial out of it or something.

One detail you might not notice right away but adds an important element is the actual recessed iris and pupal. also the outter curviture of the pupal almost gives off the illusion that a lens actually exists. besides the texture has light glare so I was almost forced to do that make my own texture or scan my own iris into my machine which I can't do without a scanner.

yup thats right I sketch in digital form.

peace 8)
Dances

Post by Dances »

Thats definately high poly for an eye. because if you have a 5000 poly char you want to put a good 1500-2000 in the face.. and you just ate up a 1/2 of that with the two eyes.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

That is a nice model. I wish could model ike that, I just can't get hang of Blender though.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Dances wrote:Thats definately high poly for an eye. because if you have a 5000 poly char you want to put a good 1500-2000 in the face.. and you just ate up a 1/2 of that with the two eyes.
it's not really meant to be in a socket.

like I said rpg scaled up... or a sword game where you can pluck one out.
it was just a practice model to keep in touch with blender.

I'm not even doing much 3d work atm.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

That looks like the kind of eyeball that flies out when someone gets shot in anime!

since we're showing off, I recently (couple of weeks ago) made some models for an rpg I've got planned...
a bag (with a seamless texture that I'm rather proud of)

and a chest-

I should do more modeling, it's fun
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Dances

Post by Dances »

Midnight wrote:
Dances wrote:Thats definately high poly for an eye. because if you have a 5000 poly char you want to put a good 1500-2000 in the face.. and you just ate up a 1/2 of that with the two eyes.
it's not really meant to be in a socket.

like I said rpg scaled up... or a sword game where you can pluck one out.
it was just a practice model to keep in touch with blender.

I'm not even doing much 3d work atm.
Then its still really high poly. Not many people are going to stop and look at the eye closely, so its not important to give it a lot of detail. Those polygons would be better spent on the environment or other more important details.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying its a bad model.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

hmm the eye is nice but like the others said to many polys ... and gamedude have you tried rhino3d a tad easier but a lot diffrent if your used to blender (belive me was a huge change)...hmm i should upload some images of stuff ive done XD.
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Looks good, Midnight! It is a tad high-poly, but if you optimized it (can Blender do that yet?) it would be great for gibs in a game.

Edit: Now I want to go play Rise of the Triad...
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Yay for showing off!

I was doing some quicky models for a game company I'm with, and this is a small something that I came up with (too high poly for the game though).

FlyingIsFun1217 :D
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

nice beguining, bitplane, more for a coder...

is right diection, could be more detailed, but is solid base :)

You're doing an rpg ?

That means a load of artowrk t make...I think I guess then why are you learning to model ;)

Looks you go in good direction...

Even more, just realized you're using wings...definitely way to go :)
Is fun and fast. ;)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com