Diferences in OpenGL and Directx9

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
32_weaselType

Diferences in OpenGL and Directx9

Post by 32_weaselType »

DirectX9
OpenGL

I set up a BSP map, and added lights in the same place as in the actual .map file and then connected a milkshape model to the camera node, notice 2 diferences in the screens

In DirectX9 the lighting looks great on the model but the lightmap looks bad!

In OpenGL the lightmap looks great but the lighting doesnt work!!!

these are both @ 1024x768 32bit

why??
Acki

Post by Acki »

Well, I have the problem, that DX9 doesn't create mip maps and therfore the world txtures looking bad...
So I'm using DX8 and everything is correct !!!

(I'm using DevCpp with DX9 compiled Irrlicht)

In your opengl pic it seems that the player modell is unlit...

CU, Acki
s23_weaselType

Post by s23_weaselType »

I know, in OpenGL the lighting doesnt work at all.

is there a fix for this problem in DirectX9 yet?
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

WELL...

When I compile the collision example (the one that draws triangles at whatever part of the level you point at, and lights up the 3 faeries.), I have to use OpenGL (cause DirectX won't work yet for me).
The faeries are completley lit (as if lighting is disabled), so you don't see the difference when the cursor hovers over them and lighting is disabled.

But on the hello world example, that I also compile in OpenGL, I added a light flying around in a circle around Sydney, and you can clearly see the shading being applied to her, in the direction of the light, etc.

I could never work out why. I'm using OpenGL both times, but only in one case it doesn't work.