Animation Newbie (Maya)

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
sanjilyh

Animation Newbie (Maya)

Post by sanjilyh »

My artist is major in Maya. She didn't really know how to use the rest of tools. 3D model tools is really hard to learn in the first place. (Steep learning curve)

We wanted to do keyframe modeling in maya and export it out using vertex animation technique. Right now we only can export OBJ file using OBJExporter, but it doesn't contain any animation (OBJ only for static object)

The problem now is we can't really export the model keyframe animation out.

We didn't know of any forum to post this question to, so we hope to find a light here.

Thank in advance
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Its best to use X or B3D motion for export. Do you use bones for animation, or vertex deformation?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
deesine

Post by deesine »

Maya comes with a small amount of export formats, dxf, flt, wrml2, obj, that I can think of. But my suggestion would be to get MilkShape trial version, as it can import maya ascii, and use MS to export to any of a bunch of different formats.

But, the most painless way in the long run would be to get a .x exporter for your maya version. It's a hassle to setup sometimes, but once that's done, you're good to go :)

Check highend3d for maya plugins etc. Or download the latest DirectX SDK which should include the maya x export plugin.

EDIT.
The SDK plugin is up to version 6.5 if I recall correctly, there should be updated version around the web for 7, maybe 8. I upgraded it myself at one point, but I don't know if I still have it.