Maps

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Phreak

Maps

Post by Phreak »

Howdy all,

I'm kinda new to this whole thing. I've been programming for years, and have been creating MODs for Half-Life for a while. I've just downloaded the SDK for Irrlicht, and have had a good search through to see how it works.

To my question..

In the Quake3Map tutorial on the Irrlicht tutorials page, it shows how to load a Quake 3 BSP tree file, but it also loads a .pk3 file? I'm trying to create my own 'world' in 3D studio max, and have Irrlicht render it, but I'm not sure on how to load it. Does my .bsp file need a .pk3 file? What is the .pk3 file? How would I go about loading my own .bsp file made in 3d studio max into the Irrlicht engine?

Hope someone understood any of that :P

Thanks in advance,

Phreak
If you don't succeed, redefine success!
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

a PK3 file is just a ZIP file with renamed extension, so you can load stuff from it if you add the file to the file manager.
Phreak

Post by Phreak »

Ok, sorry if this souds newbish. I understand what you have said, that is fine. What is in the .pk3 file? Textures? .wad files? I'm just trying to get a 3d studio max map made by a friend working..

Thanks in advance,

Phreak
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

You can open pk3 file with winrar.
Is it not necessary to use only pk3 arhive.
You can load bsptree directly. But you must to copy all textures in appropriate folder at beginning.
For 3dmax - you can works directly with 3ds files but there is no optimization for speed an visibility like bsptree.
Phreak

Post by Phreak »

Thanks for the help. My friend is exporting to a BSP tree from3D studio max. You've all helped heaps.

Thanks again,

Phreak
hansmbakker

Post by hansmbakker »

In the collision demo a bsp map is used.
Can you use collision handling like that with non-bsp maps?
How do I have to do that?
Acki

Post by Acki »

hansmbakker wrote:In the collision demo a bsp map is used.
Can you use collision handling like that with non-bsp maps?
How do I have to do that?
Exactly the same way, just load an other file format insted of bsp...
Why you don't try it on your own ???
Is it a problem to load another file format and look if its working ???

Phreak wrote:]Does my .bsp file need a .pk3 file? What is the .pk3 file? How would I go about loading my own .bsp file made in 3d studio max into the Irrlicht engine?
You don't need a pk3 file, but than you have to put all files (meshes and textures) in a folder. If you whant to create level packs you can zip all nessesary files in an archive and add this file to the file system of Irrlicht. Than you can access the files in there, as they where in a folder...
You can name these archive file as you whant (level.zip, level.pk3, level.evreythingyouwhant), Irrlicht reconises that it is an zip archive...

CU, Acki
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

You also don't need to use a Quake level. Irrlicht supports many file formats, including .3DS, check the website or the first example for more info.