I'm new, a few questions

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
toasty2

I'm new, a few questions

Post by toasty2 »

I came across this awesome engine (I like the support for a huge variety of stuff and renderer's).

Anyway, I have a few questions...

Multiplayer Support...does it exist, will I have to make it, or has someone made a module or something for it?

The engine...what if I were to make a game with hundreds (maybe more, but not necessarily so many players close to eachother) of players playing together, is that too much, what kind of optimizations will be necessary for that?

Is there any scripting support for languages such as Perl, Squirrel/Lua, etc?
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

Most of your questions can be answered with a forum search, specifically in the projects section, where you will find IrrNet, and also I think it is called IrrLua, but I'm not sure. I believe Irrlicht has also been ported to Python. About the hundreds of players, I'm not sure where your going with it, but if you are thinking MMORPG, you will get lots of negative responses. If you are thinking all on the same computer, lol, but if you are thinking all on the same network, but not internet, that is a little easier, but I don't think you will get that many people on the same network. I don't know exactly what you mean by players close to each other, so you would have to explain, but about the optimizations, I don't think it will be about Irrlicht itself, rather the amount of tris you are drawing, as well as how the information is passed from differents computers around.
toasty2

Post by toasty2 »

Well, I'm not planning on a MMORPG, but instead a MMO sort of FPS. As for the players, my concern is that there will be possibly tons of players near eachother (lots of data to send to each client, lots of rendering?) and how Irrlicht will be able to handle very large maps.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Lol this is a GRAPHICS not a GAME engine.

However, for networking noobs I have made something which should be of help to you, here is irrNet

Have fun and remember theres quite a bit of work and learning involved in this.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
toasty2

Post by toasty2 »

Yes, I know I have a lot of work to do. I know some C++. Thanks for the irrNet link. What about a server, how would you recommend I write that?...Write a completely separate program to listen on a port, or is there a better way?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yes thats recommended. Or if you want you can use the irrNet server.
Except normal irrNet needs Irrlicht to run so this is unneccesary for the server.

I recommend using irrNetLite then, if you want to make a more custom solution, you can look at irrNet and try to copy its entity management but using your own custom entities.

Cheers
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

i'll be the first one to respond negatively..

If you're planning on making your first game an mmo or any other kind of realtime online game, I have one word of advice: DON'T!

that's all ;)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

bitplane wrote:i'll be the first one to respond negatively..

If you're planning on making your first game an mmo or any other kind of realtime online game, I have one word of advice: DON'T!

that's all ;)
Damn bitplane, you need to hold back sometimes. Sure it might be less trouble for us and even him if he just gave up now, but wouldn't it be nice to watch him suffer for a while :lol:

No but really, even though I am totally on your side with this one, I have some kind of spiritual moral that forbids me from obstructing others dreams and desires, I really want to see someone like this go full throttle ahead and actually get something done without whinging. To tell you the truth, its not so much that I believe he can do it, the chances are slim.

But its kind of a test of character, I want to see how strong and smart this person is, and I hope, I truly hope that there is someone who can perceviere (sp?) without others help and finish the game of his dreams right away.

In the end, none of this previous experience or common sense things matter, because every new person is different, only time will tell.

So don't give up little buddy, go ahead and make your server and fill it up with your FPS loving buddies blasting each other for fun :D
toasty2

Post by toasty2 »

Haha, I'm serious about this project (I've got some long-term plans) and I've done quite a bit of research, however I am new to this engine and most everything related to it. I'm a web designer and I've played with C++ a bit. I know Lua (and there happens to be an IrrLua plugin). I've also designed a few maps for Source-Engine games (using Hammer)...so this shouldn't be too crazy for me. Thanks for the help.

The project I'm hoping to create is a modern mmo-type FPS (wars with tons of people). My friend and I are learning to model and make textures and such. Our game will be different than many because of the huge variety of weapons (and Weapon Modifications such as scopes and bipods and such).
Signature.