Any update on the ports to Symbian or PocketPC?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
blairmacintyre

Any update on the ports to Symbian or PocketPC?

Post by blairmacintyre »

I am looking for a game engine to use on PocketPC and Symbian Phones. Irrlicht is appealing, for various (obvious) reasons.

There was a video a long time ago showing it on PocketPC. Then, somebody was trying to port it to Symbian.

I'm wondering what the status of both those developments are.

thanks!
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

As far as I know both stopped development. Just what happens to 90% of all open source or hobby software projects :(
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

Why do mobile games even have to be in 3D..... the models would be super low poly = ugly 3D, plus lag, plus not very fun gameplay since the developers concentrated too much on making it 3D. Isometric using 2D is just right for mobiles.
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
Vox

Post by Vox »

Cardinal4 wrote:Why do mobile games even have to be in 3D..... the models would be super low poly = ugly 3D, plus lag, plus not very fun gameplay since the developers concentrated too much on making it 3D. Isometric using 2D is just right for mobiles.
If you are talking about current situation on the market then yes, you are correct.

But if we are talking about near future, then you are damn wrong.

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/ ... HONES_1807
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

Vox wrote:But if we are talking about near future, then you are damn wrong.

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/ ... HONES_1807
That thing is gonna cost a ton when it comes out. :shock: That'll definitely put mobile phones in the price range of laptops/desktops now.
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...