Curse of the Pharaoh - An experiment in portals

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
JP

Curse of the Pharaoh - An experiment in portals

Post by JP »

Updated 4/3/08:

Website

When i first posted this project i was writing a heavy metal horror concept album about a fictional egyptian myth and had the idea to make a funky multimedia section for it.

I was just going to have an egyptian style quake map for the environment and have a menu system over the top to navigate through the goodies, then i thought i could have an easter egg where you could get into a little FPS game or something so i started playing around with some ideas.

I thought of having a portal from the egyptian map into my Johnny 5 Must Die FPS game (which i'd probably edit somewhat to make it more egyptian themed or something) and i remembered Blizzard's portals he'd done a while back and thought i'd give those a try (didn't have much luck with the DirectX and OpenGL ones as they required header files i didn't have or know the location of so i used the RTT ones which turned out to be very simple :D). In the end i didn't actually use his code but was more inspired by it to code it myself (as it's not a very complicated process).

Anyway, i've recently updated this project... for some reason... So thought i'd share it. It's now compiled with Irrlicht 1.3.1 and the portal camera actually works properly now i think... :lol:

Portal starts off sealed:

The centre piece fades out:

And the portal is revealed beneath

And here's an endless loop of portals from an old version!:

And as i'm such a kind and giving person, here's the full source:
Download (7mb)

Controls:
Cursor Keys: Movement
Mouse: Look & Turn
P: Open/Close portal (when close enough to portal)

I tried to make a new video as the old video shows the bad portal camera but fraps is being a bit jerky, out of sync audio and generally rubbish... But as the project is now here a video isn't really necessary anyway!
Last edited by JP on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image Image
JP

Post by JP »

Here's a video, got some funky sound effects in there as well ;)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ ... haroah.flv

EDIT: This video is outdated now, showing a bad portal camera... so probably not worth viewing, instead download the demo above!
Last edited by JP on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

That sounds fun, i dont know why here in irrlicht we like making games. Lots of other engines people just make fun and pretty demos, they are easier for one person teams but have a higher quality finish in the end.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

Hi!

Wow that's a lot of time that I don't come in this forum(3-4 month):shock:! But I was too busy in this period.

I've seen only now your work JP! it's very good! I'm happy that my work is used... and the results are amazing!
I hope that your project proceed very well...

A small announcement
In a few days I'll release a funny small 2D game where I reinterpret the classic Arkanoid adding some interesting gameplay concepts.

Bye!
Everyone for the game and the game for everyone
JP

Post by JP »

Hehe cheers, i actually haven't been on the forum since about xmas so it's lucky i noticed this maybe. I didn't do anything much more to this project but i will eventually i'm sure when i get round to finishing off the concept album it was for, then i'll need to finish this but i have very little time now that i've joined the working world!
Image Image Image
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

now that i've joined the working world!
Wow! Good Luck! 8)
Everyone for the game and the game for everyone
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

whoa JP! the portals in Curse of the Pharaoh look great! Have you released any source for them?

Was also checking your site. Interesting things there. Music?...great! ;)
regards,
Alvaro
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Damn go JP! That looks and sounds great! I was wondering how I wanted to do portals in my game....looks like you and blizzard have inspired me to use these prey portals :P
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

Hey JP, nice work....I would also appreciate a source code release of the relevant parts.... :wink:

regards masterhawk
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

It was already released, search for Blizportals there is a stencil buffer version and an RTT version. I couldn't get the stencil buffer one to work for some reason so I just used RTT and it was ok.

Cheers
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

One more question: Does the stencil verison has a better performance than the RTT??
JP

Post by JP »

Sorry i've not replied about people asking about source code for this, i'd not noticed the replies. I think they happened whilst i was away from the forum for a few months!

The portals here aren't actually Blizportals but they were inspired by those and are basically the same thing but i just coded them myself (RTT).

It anyone's interested in the source i may well be able to make it available.
Image Image Image
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

Of course, I'm still interested in the source....
JP

Post by JP »

I'll do my best to get it to you. It's at home and i don't go on my home PC much so i may forget but hopefully it won't take long! :lol:
Image Image Image
Masterhawk

Post by Masterhawk »

Well, that's no prob...finally I get some freetime from coding....=D