People Shooter (source code released!)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

hmm wow midnight harsh......
the screenshots look ok and from what everone is saying it must be good..i dont like your host thow dosnt support resume downloads(im on dial up).. keep it up xDan :D
FriendlyWarlord

Post by FriendlyWarlord »

"cell phone quality"?

The hilarious premise is superbly executed. It's fun, entertaining, and the fact that it exists is in itself worth a laugh. It's exactly what the ludicrous description says it is - but you also shoot ducks for ammo. It's freaking brilliant.

Most of the Irrlicht minigames I've seen have had major bugs - if I recall correctly, only one bug (and a very minor graphical bug at that) has been reported here.

... I.... should just ignore what Midnight says from now on, right?
=D
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

Commercial cell-phone games are really well-made nowadays. And fortunately arcade games don't need wonderful graphics unlike other game types [FPS, RPG] to make a pretty instant-fun game.

Though I think shareware at this current state is ... questionable. :? Yes, it's very fun, but it's lacking some features.. eg. levels. Plus you might want to look into the fact that the game actually continues running even when you're completely out of ammo.
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

One day, I'm going to make that MMOFPS (peer to peer networking and all).

But until I have skills and the team of artists necessary I'll continue to make stupid little mini games.
Though I think shareware at this current state is ... questionable.
I agree completely :P But I lose interest in projects. Maybe I'll improve it in the future. But until then, it's still worth *trying* to sell it, even if I make it free later when it doesn't sell.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

OK! I've seen the light!

People Shooter (and run rabbit) are both now free: http://games.xzist.org

ALSO, the source is available:
http://games.xzist.org/files/source/

Please note however the source code is probably best used as a "How not to program a game" guide.

Also not all the game assets are mine so I can't release everything for free. (.ogg music is copyright ibaudio.com, and some sfx is from A1 sound effects)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

So whats with the sudden change of heart? :P

I kind of admired your money-making ambitions...

BTW, I see you got 5 stars on the Bunny game, so surely you made some profit off that?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Midnight, this is infinitely better than any of the 0 games you've made, so you're not in a position to dish out any snobbery.

Great concept, fun gameplay, and now open source.. what more could you possibly ask for? Nice work :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Midnight wrote: don't get me wrong I think this project is great..
I suppose I can see how that would easily be missinterperated.

I was merly refferring to "minigames" which it's obvious thats what this is.

let me break it down for ya.

I'm tired of minigames when will there be a full game with awsome graphics and everything... we have the talent we have the time the communication and all this... yet no games worthy of being "full commercial quality" full as in large.
rooly

Post by rooly »

i'll reply to one point. we actually *don't* have the communication. if you'll just check how much crap is in the recent challenge threads, you'll notice that nobody can seem to get along and agree.

however we do have everything else.
When banks compete, you win.
When ISPs compete, you win.
When electronics retailers compete, you win.
When governments compete...you get drafted.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

BlindSide wrote:So whats with the sudden change of heart? :P

I kind of admired your money-making ambitions...

BTW, I see you got 5 stars on the Bunny game, so surely you made some profit off that?
Ooh I still have money making ambitions. These two games were mainly to test out the System.

But with 2224 downloads for run rabbit (and 1 sale!) and 7578 of People Shooter (no sales) they may as well be free. Hopefully I will get some extra traffic from freeware game sites in time for my next shareware game (which is in progress...)

It's a calculated marketing decision disguised as a change of heart!
catron

Post by catron »

have a tight system for registration, you wouldn't want you're game to be be the next bit torrent smash hit. :?
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

have a tight system for registration, you wouldn't want you're game to be be the next bit torrent smash hit.
its a nice portfolio than isn't it? :P
"Breaking game made by xDan"
I liked the game :P
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

... yet no games worthy of being "full commercial quality" full as in large.
these days, a full comercial quality game means a full army of artists, in what is the sort of content I do (art, in coding, I dunno) .

2 artists can do mini games, shareware games, or games of quality content, but not massive in number, and a concept so well thought is yet entertainment or the gamer is tricked visually to think it is indeed much more artwork content than it is.

Is proved every day that large huge game projects for free, and even if some will of income there is, have a 90 and something percent of ending nowhere.

To me, it's possible to do quality, small, and involving games with one coder and one or 2 artists. But if repeat units, etc. not massive content. I passed very good moments with UT1, and character models were actually 2, with different skins (textures).
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

You could always use Blender's MakeHuman to get more realistic human bodies... but I don't think there's really a need for total realism. I loved Run Rabbit, maybe now I can open it up and make the Rabbit not fall through the platforms :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

you can do even more real than with make human, and let it be your own "human".That is, if u got the skills... ;)

Blender is not limited in anyway to let you make a realistic uber detailed human, is just two factors: skills and time.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com