What Irrlicht has over Ogre...

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

IPv6 wrote:
mp3 wrote:forget about bsp, it is past and probably will not be supported.
And what is the future? i mean what will be instead of BSP?
The portal culling everybody is discussing here right now. ;)
IPv6

Post by IPv6 »

i mean OGRE what will be in OGRE instead of BSP. Nothing?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

IPv6 wrote:i mean OGRE what will be in OGRE instead of BSP. Nothing?
The portal connected zones scene manager everyone here is talking about. ;)
ogrenew/PlugIns/PCZSceneManager it will be officially supported but is not yet ready for prime time.
IPv6

Post by IPv6 »

krama757

Post by krama757 »

I based my choice of irrlicht vs ogre on two things:
community and speed of development.

In both cases Irrlicht came out on top for me.

When i was starting out I asked a ton of questions...the irrlicht community was very helpful and friendly....ogre not so much :)

Irrlicht also allowed me to get ready and set damn fast...so easy to install! Along with this it seems Niko is updating irrlicht much faster than ogre's developer. I also found Niko to be friendlier and more interested in implementing small changes that I suggested to the engine. What more could you want?

People keep complaining of what features irrlicht lacks when compared to ogre but this really doesnt mean much when you look at stuff that Bitplane, Klasker, Sio, etc...did. These guys have added so many new features so fast that I bet they could implement pretty much anything ogre has in a matter of weeks.

Ofcourse most of this is a matter of opinion so its not good to read in too much. All I gotta say is tht after searching around a TON I found irrlicht 3 years back.... I still love it :)
agi_shi

Post by agi_shi »

krama757 wrote:I based my choice of irrlicht vs ogre on two things:
community and speed of development.

In both cases Irrlicht came out on top for me.

When i was starting out I asked a ton of questions...the irrlicht community was very helpful and friendly....ogre not so much :)

Irrlicht also allowed me to get ready and set damn fast...so easy to install! Along with this it seems Niko is updating irrlicht much faster than ogre's developer. I also found Niko to be friendlier and more interested in implementing small changes that I suggested to the engine. What more could you want?

People keep complaining of what features irrlicht lacks when compared to ogre but this really doesnt mean much when you look at stuff that Bitplane, Klasker, Sio, etc...did. These guys have added so many new features so fast that I bet they could implement pretty much anything ogre has in a matter of weeks.

Ofcourse most of this is a matter of opinion so its not good to read in too much. All I gotta say is tht after searching around a TON I found irrlicht 3 years back.... I still love it :)
WHAT? When was this? Right now, ogre has practically 2x the # of members as Irrlicht (13 150 vs. 7 109). And they are in no way "not helpful". I got answers to ALL my questions when I had any. You just have to ask with detail. "how i are do level?" will not give you a full explanation of static geometry and world geometry and what-not.

Ogre's community feels more professional to me. There is no fact to this, it's the vibe I get when I read their forums and I read these forums.

As for anything new being really fast with Irrlicht... The ONE THING that everything boiled down to when I made the switch was shadows. Once I see *additive* *stencil* *shadows* that do not break when the view is within the shadow (switches to z-fail, IIRC, I haven't read up on stencil shadows for a while), I'll say that's true.
alexionne

Post by alexionne »

agi_shi wrote:As for anything new being really fast with Irrlicht... The ONE THING that everything boiled down to when I made the switch was shadows. Once I see *additive* *stencil* *shadows* that do not break when the view is within the shadow (switches to z-fail, IIRC, I haven't read up on stencil shadows for a while), I'll say that's true.
If you're so desperate about having additive stencil shadows, why don't you sit down, and implement them in Irrlicht? :-) No hard feelings, but I really don't get an impression that you respect all the hard work of people working on Irrlicht. It is perfectly OK that you prefer Ogre over Irrlicht. But, there are people out there whose priority is not Additive Stencil Shadow ;-)
agi_shi

Post by agi_shi »

alexionne wrote:
agi_shi wrote:As for anything new being really fast with Irrlicht... The ONE THING that everything boiled down to when I made the switch was shadows. Once I see *additive* *stencil* *shadows* that do not break when the view is within the shadow (switches to z-fail, IIRC, I haven't read up on stencil shadows for a while), I'll say that's true.
If you're so desperate about having additive stencil shadows, why don't you sit down, and implement them in Irrlicht? :-) No hard feelings, but I really don't get an impression that you respect all the hard work of people working on Irrlicht. It is perfectly OK that you prefer Ogre over Irrlicht. But, there are people out there whose priority is not Additive Stencil Shadow ;-)
I believe you misunderstood me. It was the "one last thing" that made me switch, not the "only thing".

And additive shadows (stencil/texture, no matter) are not as easy as "sit down and write X lines of code". You have to multi-pass the whole scene such that you get the contribution of each light, ambient light, and decal light (or just simple decals), and then create the shadows based on that. The shadows are highly integrated with the full rendering of the scene, and depend on a certain structure of a material (ambient/per-light/decal).