Questions about making levels

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
olivehehe_03

Questions about making levels

Post by olivehehe_03 »

I've been coding for a while, and now I'm trying to work out my level design process and I've got a few questions.

Ok first question, I've seen all over these forums that people are saying to use IrrEdit or gile[s] for lightmapping, but I get really ugly results with both programs (I've only got a trial version of gile[s]), and since I've seen some very good looking things come out of both programs, I'm assuming it's a problem with the way I'm using them. There's a link to the model I'm using at the end of the post, can someone else see what sort of results they get with that model and post screens and the settings they used for either program? Or better yet, enlighten me to what I'm doing wrong with that model that gives me ugly results...

Second question, what programs are people using? I mentioned IrrEdit and gile[s] above but like I said, I'm having problems with them and was wondering if there's any other programs I could use as a scene builder and lightmapper, preferably free and easy to use with Irrlicht :D

Thanks in advance

Download link to my terrain model:
http://rapidshare.com/files/44302863/TESTTERRAIN.x.html
Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away.
xray

Post by xray »

Im using gile[s] for lightmapping, I know it is not free but in my opinion better than IrrEdit. I also never got good results in IrrEdit and there arent as many options as in gile[s]. In IrrEdit it also takes alot time to calculate the scene than in gile[s].

Well I dont know what you mean with ugly results, maybe you can show us your result. And tell us what you dont like in there. And here is my fast test of your scene:

cheers!
olivehehe_03

Post by olivehehe_03 »

Well that lighting in IrrEdit turns out like this, have a look at the lighting on the terrain to see what I mean by "ugly"

Thanks for downloading the model and having a go at it, but would you be able to send me the .gls file so I can see how you set up the lighting for that scene? I think that half my problem is that I don't have any idea how to set up lighting in a scene to get good results. Thanks again
xray

Post by xray »

Hi,

ok I see what you mean with ugly. I also had the same problems all the time with IrrEdit, that it just
rendered the scene in a solid mode. It seems that IrrEdit dont care about the normals, but this is really
necessary for a realistic scene.
I cant put my saved gls file online because you are not able to open it. The gile[s] version 2 alpha 1 which
you can download isnt able to save files and also cant open my alpha 2 files. And you are not able to
download the alpha 2 because you are not a registered user. So I created a screenshot of all the settins
I did, so you can test it in the alpha 1 version. The result is the same!

http://home.mnet-online.de/sk9/gls_screenshot.jpg

feel free to ask, if there are more questions!
olivehehe_03

Post by olivehehe_03 »

Well i tried that out and it looks heaps better than what I was getting. Now all I need to do is buy gile[s] and I'll be right :D

Thanks for your help
jingquan

Post by jingquan »

Perhaps you want to save your model as .x or .obj in order to get the normals saved, hence producing a smooth surface of the terrrain. Try loading them in Irredit again.

Hope I'm correct ;)