really ugly ms3d model bug, and getXJointNode

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
luvcraft

really ugly ms3d model bug, and getXJointNode

Post by luvcraft »

So, I have a mesh that I made in Milkshape, and when I export it to an X file and load it with Irrlicht, it looks fine, like this:

however, if I load the ms3d model that it's exported from, it looks like this:

Originally, I was just ignoring it and only using the X model, but now I really need getMS3DJointNode, and since there's no alternative for X, I'm stuck using an ms3d model, but the ms3d model doesn't work. The alternative is to download the 180+ mb dx9 sdk, and recompile Irrlicht with a getXJointNode function, which I'm in the process of doing right now, but it's kind of a slow download.

Does anyone either:
a: have any idea how I can fix my ms3d so it displays properly in Irrlicht (I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that the model has a "cel outline shell" around it, with inward-pointing normals)
or
b: have a version of the Irrlicht library compiled with a getXJointNode function that they can send me?

It's especially frustrating since getMS3DJointNode would work just fine for an X file too, except for the fact that it checks first to make sure the mesh is an MS3D. :(

Thanks in advance!
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I saw that exact problem.

It had to do with keyframes created by MS3D. I had my friend look at my model and he added the frame properly and it worked. Wish I remembered more about what he did.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... joint#7883
Crud, how do I do this again?
luvcraft

Post by luvcraft »

in the thread that you linked to, did you end up using an ms3d or an X? It looks like an X from your code snippet.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Well... I loaded the MS3D and just recast it as an X, to be able to use getJointNumber
Crud, how do I do this again?
luvcraft

Post by luvcraft »

Couldn't you just use the getJointNumber() for MS3D?

I've been trying to get it to work with my X model, but for some reason getting the transformation of the joint only returns its rotation relative to its relaxed position, and doesn't return translation at all, which is pretty useless. :(

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a problem with the engine?
luvcraft

Post by luvcraft »

Aha! I finally figured out the attaching nodes to joints problem; I had initialized the weapon using a home-made class that automatically assigns collision detection, which, oddly, didn't affect it, but did prevent it from being moved by anything else.